DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A Visit From the Wild

Mother Nature gave me a gift this morning. As I stood at my sink doing dishes watching whatever appears out the window, a Grey Wolf step out onto the road and proceeded to saunter along the edge. I had a lovely long look before it walked back into the bush. My dog Ben, thought he would let him know this is his territory so he ran down to were he had disappeared and folowed into the bush. A few second later Ben came running back. I guess the wolf let Ben know he was meaner.

Later, the wolf came out on the road a second time. For me the wolf is the symbol of all that is wild and free. They are wonderful shy creatures and to see them as I did was a gift. I have seem them silently observing when i was working in the bush but never so close to home. There must be a small pack near by for June saw a wolf one day and my neighbour said he saw a pair..

To night i will howl and see if they will reply.




















The Eastern Grey Wolf
Wolves


Wolves have been much feared and hated. This is dreadfully unfair. They are not a threat to people and they are a necessary top predator in the ecological balance. Studies have show they are not even a major factor in perdition among domesticated livestock. Wolf Song of Alaska: Crying Wolf over Predator Attacks

Canada still has significant numbers of wolves while efforts are underway in the United States to restore them to parts of their former range after years of being hunted/poisoned/trapped to extinction.Wolf Song of Alaska: The Canadian Wolves

We all need to occasionally give thanks and enjoy the wildlife that blesses us with their presence.

4 Comments:

At 3:22 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What a wonderful thing! I admit that I'm jealous.

 
At 7:02 p.m., Blogger J C said...

How lucky you are Philip to have been able to observe this wolf. I envy you. I used to live next door to a family of Native Americans who had a pet wolf. I never saw it, but I heard it howl many times. I met the gentleman of the house in church some time later and he told me it was a wolf. I hope where you are there will always be a space for the wild things. Here, there is a sad story. A pair of Osprey have built a huge nest in a 4-group of parking lot lights right next to an intersection of two very busy streets. I fear for the babies when they fledge for there is no where for them to hide if they go to the ground. Only car wheels turning. Hopefully, the first flight of an Osprey will be to catch the wind and take it far enough to reach the woods and the water a mile or so away.

 
At 8:37 a.m., Blogger Peggy said...

Wow! I am jealous too! Did they answer you when you howled?

 
At 1:34 p.m., Blogger Navigator said...

Some years ago I was canoe-camping in Kilarney Park (a wonderful wilderness refuge in Ontario), about 100 miles east of you, but on the same latitude. I had a great view of Silver Peak, the highest mountain in Ontario (not saying much re height). The top of the mountain is quartz and in the sunshine in the middle of the summer, with the sun shining, you would swear it was snow-capped. Anyway, one night, cloudless, full moon, around midnight, a pack of wolves on Silver Peak started howling at the moon. They kept it up for over an hour. It was the eeriest and most wonderful sound I have ever heard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home