DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Saturday, April 14, 2007

A Life that Made a Difference

June Callwood died at 82. She was a remarkable woman whose life has made a big contribution to Toronto and all of Canada. She was a writer and social activist. An elegant hippie who took up social activism after witnessing the plight of the poor and young on the streets of Yorkville in the 1960's. From there she took up the cause of the poor, prostitutes, Aids survivors and breast cancer to name just a few of her causes. I encourage you to read about this remarkable Canadian woman and her life that has made a difference. June Callwood Dies at 82

While I never met her, I have been aware of her tireless efforts over they years. I do have one slight connection with her. When I first moved to River Valley. I brought the brother of a friend of mine with me. He was a youth that had had a troubled life and when no one would step forward to help him, I did. He had been involved in a number of home robberies. As a result of my efforts, he only had to spend a short time in a youth detention center as long as he came to live with me. His crime spree ended when he was arrested trying to start June Callwood Mercedes car. I once tried to tell him about June Callwood and what she had done for peoplem and how ironic I found it that she would be a victim of his crimes.I don't think he was impressed. I guess crime spares no one! I expect. if she had known him. she would have understood him and tried to help him herself: that is the kind of woman June Callwood was. Besides, her impulses to help others she had social, political and organizational skills to build agencies that will continue to aid other for years to come. She has help so many and will be much missed and remembered as a remarkable woman.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home