DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Who is Sharing my House these Days




















This is Dave , the Patriarch, at 84. He is still recovering in the hospital from an ulcer. We hope he will be home soon. As an old farmer and logger, he is full of stories of the "good old days." He was born and lived in River Valley, years ago. He knows and remembers lots of people and families and their interconnections. As one interested in local history, I find him a wealth of knowledge.

Like my dear friend, Madam Carre, who died a few years ago, he remembers our community before their was a year round road to Sturgeon Falls. Also, he remembers living without electricity. Those were the years when men worked in the bush with horses, axes and crosscut saws. They worked in camps all winter, took part in the river log drive in the Spring and came home to the farm managed by the wife and many children. The wife was impregnated once again, and the summer saw thr growing of food to sustain them through the Winter. French Canadian familes of Dave's generation ran to 12 to 20 children. How times have changed today French Canadian familes have the lowest birthrate of any group in Canada, in spite of the Catholic church.



















This is June, who recently married Dave as his second wife. (He was married for 60 years to his first and raised 10 children and a few who just moved in with him). June lived in River Valley a few years ago, so I have know her for a while as a neighbour. She is all about arts and crafts. Here she is knitting another afghan. She also is a gamer. It is interesting to watch her chat with young teenagers at the computer games store about playing various games, bridging the generation gap. I know nothing about games. Then again, June knows nothing about politics or world affairs, or who John Picco della Mirandola was. (tee hee) .We do share an interest in doing jig saw puzzles and the animals.























This is Daisy. One of June's dogs and the love of Dave's life. She is missing her papa these days.




















This is Bobbi, Daisy's mother. This little barrel chested dog in not as fierce as she appears in the pictures I take of her. She recently had a fist full of bladder stones removes. Ouch! I would have gone for the euthanasia fee rather than pay for the operation, but Dave would not have heard of it, for she is one of his constant companions.
This foursome has joined Me, Ben my dog and seven cats (I think). in my house that does not feel as large these days. I am not living the life of a hermit anymore. It seems to be going better than I expected.Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 11:31 a.m., Blogger Peggy said...

Seems you have a nice ready made family sharing your home. The good thing is you got to pick them to be part of the family. Some of my family members I sometimes wish I could un-pick them!

 
At 11:58 a.m., Blogger Rachel said...

So nice that you have such wonderful people sharing your home!

Those little dogs are so cute!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home