DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Springtime on the River


Here are some photos of the Temagami River that runs across my property.



















It is a beautiful bright morning without a cloud in the sky. Yet. it s cool, -5C with a nice wind that will help to dry things out. This is the upsteam view of the Temagami River.



















This a the downsteam view of the river from the bridge. This used to be our swimming hole where, for many years we swam daily all summer. There is a large boulder just under below and in front of the bridge you can swim off. It causes an eddy current that slowly moves upsteam while the rest of the river moves on down with some strong current. The gravel bar is causes by the boulder and the old crib from a former bridge washout out in the flood of 1979. There is a small gully that drains the land of surface water just to the right which washes gravel into the river. For the adventuresome one can jump off the bridge 15 feet to the water.

These days, I swim downstream in front of the cabin we built. There is the old ford of the river here. There is also a sandy and shallow side of the river. It is safer for this old guy and his grandchildren. The cabin cannot be seen from the bridge in summer, it is just ahead of the clump of birch trees on the right downstream.
























This is the laneway to the cabin. Still snow covered but melting and drying out quickly. Ben and Blackie get to explore around a bit more with most of the snow gone. Maybe Ben will find one of his many balls he has lost.

For the next, couple of weeks the weather will be cool and dry. Such a slow Spring thaw will guarantee no flooding later in the Spring when the Temagami highland wilderness releases its Winter snows.



















The road to nowhere! This road recently named Denonville Road is total on my land. It ends a couple of hundred feet up the road at my property line. I missed the meeting when they were renaming some of the roads in the area. previously this 1/4 mile long road had no name. I would have suggested it be names Robinson's Lane. It was named after an fellow who lived a half mile upstream in an old shack years ago. Mr Denonville turned out to be Ms. Denonville. He was a "fellow" who mysteriously came here from Quebec during WWII. He may have been a draft dodger. He lived and worked in the area as a trapper and logger. When he died he was sharing a house with another fellow who had no idea he was really a woman, a transexual probably. It was discovered when Ms Denonville went to the hospital to die. His housemate was so suprised he was reported to have gone to the hospital and peeked under the covers. In the cabin, they founda trunk with women's clothes in it. The first person who told me this story was so confused about such a thing he could hardly figure out the words to talk about it. As soon as he spoke of this "man... woman..", I knew of what he was trying to talk about. When I lived in New Haven, I knew three transexuals, withwhom I been supportive as an extension of a special support program out of Christ Church Cathedral in Hartford Connecticut. One of these people "a guy named Debbie" had come out of prison with another fellow (an effeminate homosexual hooker" where they had been sent for robbing a wig store. (This crime always makes me smile. ) Those were interesting days for me for sure. I have always loved interesting people who didn't fit mold of my middle class upbringing.

I seem to have drifted along way from some Spring photos of the river. Is this what is know as stream of consciousness writing:) I still wish the road had been named after me.

Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 11:26 a.m., Blogger Rachel said...

The pictures of the river are beautiful!

I read your previous post where you talked about grits. Now you have made me hungry for them!! I do love grits but I don't really eat them all that much. We never had them when I was growing up. Maybe that's why?

 
At 3:51 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

Just put up your own sign on your side of the property and it can be your road! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home