DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Mother Earth: Shared Unevenly

With the tragic circumstance of the people of Haiti we are reminded that while we all live and share life together on Mother Earth , we do so very unevenly in sharing in benefits she has to offers. While a few people and Nations have prospered and come to exploit our island home in the Universe, most seem to struggle just to survive.

It is like living in a house where some family members are forced to live in the unfinished basement and attic, or even the tool shed outback, ( the Restavec of the home)without enough of the benefits of being a member of the home to live and grow to their full potential. It is an outrage. If it were a house in our society, the authorities would intervene in the home and rescue the children and bring succor to the handicap and the elderly. Those who have everything and fail to share it sufficiently would be prosecuted for their neglect of family members.

Life is not fair is a cliche but a true observation. But there is more we can do to make it more fair for all while still being able to celebrate the rich diversity of human culture.

These thoughts, which often haunt me. The plight of others in our World reminded me of the Miniature Earth Project. , which I have saved on my computer for several years. This is a project that tries to explain the nature of our World in a way we can better understand it. In their project the World is reduced to 100 individuals so that we can better understand the reality of our circumstances in it.

The Project has been around since 2001. The information has been updated.

Take a moment and watch this most interesting presentation. There are several versions of this on You Tube. I chose the one that uses John Lennon's music. I find most of the time the music gets in the way. What is wrong with silence? I prefer the haunting tones of the original you can link to above. Its impact needs to be experienced while being alone with one's thoughts.


9 Comments:

At 1:07 p.m., Blogger Caddie said...

Thank you Phillip for sharing. At some time I've seen these statistics. The video made me cry then; it makes me cry now. "Crying doesn't help anything", I'm told. It does for me; it opens the heart to the sadness of the world. Yes, it is a sad, sad world. If only I had a purse to open and empty for the needs of others.

I enjoy silence but it too can grow to be overwhelming at times. John Lennon's song, although I cannot understand a word of it, is a favorite piece of music; I can never hear it too much.

 
At 4:30 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Philip--I have used the miniature earth as a way to teach students about extended analogies. It is the "if the world were a village of 100 poeple" etc. approach. It helps students understand both the concept and it gives them something to think about.

I love your image of living in a house where some are forced to live in the unfinished basement or attic.

I must say I struggle mostly with the fact that some people have so much. I wonder about people with lots of money when such devastation is visited on people in this earth. How does someone who is truly wealthy live with knowing that others suffer so much? I think especially of someone such as Bill Gates, of Microsoft fame. Admittedly, he has set up a foundation and has given millions away. But there are bankers on Wall St. that do not seem to have the same sense of obligation.
Even some who are not so wealthy but very well off, I wonder about. My income is above average (I should say "our"--my husband and me). We routinely give generously to church and charity. We give at least the Biblical tithe of 10 %.
Just my thoughts--as you can see, you got me rolling.

 
At 8:06 p.m., Blogger amelia said...

I must be one of the few people who had never heard of the miniature earth. Well I have now and have sent it on to my kids and various other people who will be amazed when they watch.
Your posts are always so insightful and thought provoking Philip. You have an amazing mind..

 
At 2:04 p.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

I agree with KG Mom and often wonder how the "HAVES" of the world can live without giving aid to the "HAVE-NOTS" ...theirs must be a sorrowful life.

 
At 9:09 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:43 a.m., Blogger J C said...

An eye opener for sure Philip. It was interesting to see these things put into perspective,altho fortunately for my own sanity I am already grateful for the little I do have. My grandmother taught me, (when I whined), "I cried because I had no shoes, then I saw a man with no feet". There is nothing more to say. xoxoxo

 
At 5:47 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I would like to burn a theme at here. There is such a nicey, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of ponzy-like structure, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For quite a long time, I make money with the help of these programs.
I'm with no money problems now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I get now up to 2G a day , and I started with funny 500 bucks.
Right now, I'm very close at catching at last a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Turn to my web site to get additional info.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

 
At 10:50 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:51 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

רציתי לחלוק אותכם במקרה אשר עברתי לאחר הפיגוע בדולפינריום. במשך שנה אחרי המקרה, הרגשתי רע מאוד, חסרת שמחה, עייפה ומדוכדכת. בכל דרך רפואית רגילה לא יכולתי לשקם את עצמי וכתוצאה מכך פניתי ל- [b][url=http://www.maker.co.il/3_15707/%D7%9E%D7%90%D7%9E%D7%A8/%D7%9B%D7%9C-%D7%94%D7%A2%D7%95%D7%91%D7%93%D7%95%D7%AA-%D7%A2%D7%9C-%D7%A0%D7%A4%D7%A9-%D7%94%D7%90%D7%93%D7%9D-%D7%95%D7%A2%D7%99%D7%A1%D7%95%D7%99-%D7%A8%D7%A4%D7%95%D7%90%D7%99-(%D7%9E%D7%A1%D7%90%D7%92%60).html]עיסוי[/url][/b] רפואי אלטרנטיבי. המליצו לי על מעסה מקצועי מ-Spa-Vip.co.il - עיסוי עד הבית, אשר מכיל מסאג איורוודה מפנק במיוחד אשר גרם להתעוררות חושים תוך טיפול אחד בלבד. השינוי אותו עברתי היה יוצא מן הרגיל, אומנם זה היה טיפול מסאג איורוודה ראשון, הרגשתי נפלא, פיזרתי את השיער ויצאתי מה- [b][url=http://www.academics.co.il/Articles/Article12945.aspx]מסאג[/url][/b]' עם כוחות חדשים, מחייכת ומוכנה להמשיך הלאה.

[b][url=http://www.tapuz.co.il/blog/ViewEntry.asp?EntryId=1679344]עיסוי שוודי[/url][/b] הוא עיסוי רפואי אשר כולל מוזיקה נעימה, מוזיקה נעימה וריח של קטורת. בהתחלת העיסוי יש מגע עדין על המגבת לאחר חשיפה של הגוף מכף רגל ועד ראש. מריחת שמן חם מכף רגל ועד הראש, לאחר מכן תנועה מלטפת ועדינה מכף רגל ועד ראש ובחזרה. אחרי כמה תנועות עדינות עוברים לצד השני של הגוף, אחרי התנועות על הצד השני מתחיל תהליך של לחיצות רפואיות כי הגוף התרגל למגע מפנק ומרגיע וזה גרם לשרירים להרפות במידה... כל זה בטיפול פרטי של [b][url=http://www.academics.co.il/Authors/Author2173.aspx]מעסה[/url][/b] מקצועי עד בית הלקוח!

אני לא האמנתי שדברים כאלו יכולים לקרות עד אשר חוויתי מסאג שוודי באיכות כזאת, המעסה המקצועי הגיע עד לביתי עם מגע כלכך מפנק שלא תיארתי שיכול להיות. אני ממליצה בחום לכל אחד ואחת אשר חשבו על עיסוי, מסאג' או סתם חוויה בלתי נשכחת בחגים על Spa-VIP.co.il.
[img]http://spa-vip.co.il/_images/apixel.gif[/img]

[url=http://spa-vip.co.il/#][img]http://spa-vip.co.il/_images/&%231506%3b&%231497%3b&%231505%3b&%231493%3b&%231497%3b-&%231512%3b&%231508%3b&%231493%3b&%231488%3b&%231497%3b.jpg[/img][/url]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home