DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Doing Firewood

With the nice weather I have a chance to do my firewood. For now "God's grace is shining on me." There is an element of panic here since normally this should be done in the Spring to allow for sufficient time for the wood to cure.























The tools of the trade, plus the safety pants and safety boots. Having cut wood for a living I have come to understand only a fool would use a chain saw and fell trees without the safely equipment. In spite of wearing the proper equipment I have know two wood cutters who have died in foresty accidents. My hard hat has saved me twice against possible death or serious injury. In spite of the equipment I have managed to cut through my safety boot and cut half way through my big to with the chain saw. OUCH!




















After I cut down a number of trees, 30 or so, my friend and neighbour came over with his skidder and skidded them out of the bush and dropped them at my back door.



















Here is a view of the pile from the porch.


















I have begun as you can see. I have some trees cut up into blocks. This will be followed by splitting the blocks into pieces that will fit in my stove. Then the wood will be piled outside until November when I will put as much as I can into the basement. (Hopefully, cured enough by then.) After I finish this batch I will skid out a second lot of trees to cut up.

I always smile when people say how lucky I am to have a "free" source of heat for my house.
There are real costs involved. Wood is not free. Besides the cost of equipment to cut wood there is lot of sweat equity in every cord of wood. Luckily, I enjoy cutting and spitting wood as a physical activity. It is also a kind of spiritual medication if you believe "work is a form of prayer."

When ever I am doing firewood I find myself thinking of "Lady Chatterley's Lover, the wood cutter. See how a good education continues to feed your soul.
Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

At 9:41 a.m., Blogger @JDHealingTimeOnEarth said...

The wood looks like a great work in progress, Philip. Yes, I do agree that work, particularly repetitive work, is a form of meditation and spirituality. Bet it feels good and satisfying all around.

 
At 9:57 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You are probably muscle bound by now.

 
At 11:10 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

Wow ! that must be very hard work !

 
At 3:24 p.m., Blogger Loretta said...

I remember going to the woods with my dad and cuting wood with a cross cut saw. Now, that was work!

 
At 7:09 p.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

My late husband loved cutting and stacking wood. You must be in good shape to be able to do all that. You'll be ready to relax when the snow falls.

 
At 8:43 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

I know you have been thinking about getting this wood cut, so I am glad you had a good day to do it.
Do take care, of course.
I had an uncle who was a saw miller (appropriately, his last name was Miller)--I loved hanging out at the saw mill. The whine of the saw as it bit into the wood, the smell--tangy and wonderful.

 
At 11:12 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

I can remember one of your posts from way back about you log piles... I am sure you give the correct measurements for a pile, and the amount of wood one pile holds... I remember being in awe at the work that must have gone into it... I hope you get the job done safely and finish with the same number of toes as you started...

 
At 3:14 p.m., Blogger possum said...

What? You don't cut your wood in barefeet? Definitely not a good old southern boy! My neighbor cuts fire wood for sale each year... Soon there will be the roar of the chain saw, the whack of the splitter, and the ka-chuck as the pieces get tossed onto the pile... then the sound of thunder as the front loader dumps loads into the big delivery truck. But they do wear boots... splinters, and all that.
Have fun. wish I could help you. Cheering section, maybe?
Look fwd to the great sense of satisfaction when it is done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home