DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Painting the Verandah

Inspired by the warm weather, fortified with pain killers (I finally gave in and took some to ease my painful knees, tired of tripping over the gallons of paint on the floor and being moved by conscience to get on with it, I have been painting the front porch.

Not having a woman in my life to nag me about these things (one of the few benefits to being single) , I get around to them in my sweet time. The porch has been in need of painting for 25 years, so I guess it is time.

(Click on the photo to enlarge)






















I love a red door. It reminds me of an Anglican Church. They always seem to have red doors.
Mine got a refreshing coat. I am not sure if you enlarge the picture you could read the sticker on my window. It reads "My Canada includes civil liberties." It is a kind of display of my politics I guess.

I am always offended with my Catholic neighbours, many of whom have a sticker that reads, "No Peddlers or Jehovah Witnesses." I am always polite to the Jehovah Witness chap who comes to my door. It is a lovely person and we talk about everything except religion.

























I even painted my farm bell. My friend, Veronica, insisted on leaving the bell when she left. It had been her grandparent's bell from their farm in Amish country of Pennsylvania. I cherish it. Here you can see one of the improved painted posts. I have plans to replace the wood on the handrail. It is too weathered to paint over.

I have also begun to cut firewood. This job should have been done in the Spring so there is an element of desperation in doing it now.

My neighbour was away all summer and he had promised to skid the wood out with his skidder. (Well that is my excuse). He is home now and will make good on his promise. I will have to purchase some cured wood for the early part of the Winter. Hopefully, what I am cutting now will cure for use in the last half of Winter.

Dave used to help me a little with the wood. I think he enjoyed it. He would pile some pieced of wood on his walker and move it to the pile to put it on. We had a running joke that he was the trucker and I was the logger, as I cut and split the wood. Dave is now confined to the hospital. I will have to take some pictures and take them to show him. I enjoyed his company during this otherwise solitary job.

Below you can seem Heidi encouraging me and letting me know I missed a spot.




Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

At 9:56 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Your door looks very regal.
And Heidi looks like you photographed her mid-bark. Like arrooooo.
I have to laugh at your observation about not being nagged by a woman...why is it that women are described as nagging? Maybe we're just being helpful.

 
At 10:50 p.m., Blogger @JDHealingTimeOnEarth said...

Not sure if you're up on your Feng Shui, Philip, but red is a very auspicious color for a front door, attracting lots of good energy. So it's good choice! Yep, all your women commenters are going to comment on the nagging. Funny how things get perceived, isn't it? =;)

 
At 8:38 a.m., Blogger Peggy said...

The porch looks great and I love red doors!! Hope Dave is doing okay. I will be helping the kids with their wood this year. I can't wait for winter to arrive but hope it holds off until you get your wood supply in.

 
At 8:54 a.m., Blogger Loretta said...

I agree...love that red door. We don't nag...we just have to point you men in the right direction some time.

 
At 10:28 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

The door is great! This is a good time of year to be out doing little chores.

 
At 4:46 p.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

Your red door looks very inviting and I love the fact that you chat with the Jehovah Witnesses...just not about religion. My husband used to do the same thing.

 
At 12:00 p.m., Blogger possum said...

Love the red door. Mine needs painting, maybe I should make it red, too?
Hmmm, nagging? Maybe if some woman had been nagging earlier in the year, the porch would already be done? OR, maybe she would have painted it for you!
OR, she would have made you feel so wonderful by praising your excellent work, you'd paint it every year! LOL!

 
At 12:59 p.m., Blogger Caddie said...

Really nice looking. You must have much energy, Phillip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home