DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

More Roadside Weeds

Summer is rapidly coming to an end. It was a lovely seven days while it lasted! Last night they had frost just north of here. It has been a cool and rainly summer this year which has left many plants behind in their blooming. I have lush tomato plants but no tomatoes anywhere near to ripening. When you live here you have to know abundant ways to use green tomatoes.
Weeds always do well no matter what the weather. This year they are tall and lush with blooms.

(Click on photo to enlarge)



















Black-eyed Susan/Rudbeckie


















Canada Goldenrod/Verge d'Or du Canada


















Cilioate Aster/Aster Ciliolé





Joe Pye Weed/Eupatoire Maculée
Posted by Picasa

9 Comments:

At 9:26 a.m., Blogger Peggy said...

I love having wild flowers growing everywhere. To me they are more beautiful than a planned and planted flower garden. I am sorry your summer is coming to an end but I am so looking forward to fall and winter.

 
At 10:51 a.m., Blogger Caddie said...

Weeds? or God's glory in all its splendor? How blessed we are!

Into herbals, I know Goldenrod flowers make a delicious tea and see here http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/goldenrod-000251.htm for extensive information.

The Joe Pye is a medicinal plant - and according to Underwood Gardens' catalog:this plant is reputed to have been named after a Native American doctor who used it medicinally in Massachusetts. Is said to stimulate circulation and sweating; makes a gentle laxative and helps with kidney problems. Some Nat. Amer. tribes still consider it an aphrodisiac. It is for certain a butterfly magnet.
It is in danger of becoming extinct in the wild.

Beautiful pictures, Phillip. Thank you for sharing with us.

 
At 11:42 a.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Oh Philip--little joke on your part? Summer last all of 7 days in your part of Canada?
Or did you mean you have had 7 lovely days in a row.
Yeah--it's been rainy and wet here also. I have given up on trying to grow tomatoes, much as I love them fresh from the garden.
Hope the winter doesn't bring too much snow--seems I recall you had quite a bit last winter.

 
At 1:14 p.m., Blogger possum said...

When I lived in Maine, they used to say we had 2 seasons, winter and the 4th of July!
I remember the year it snowed on my birthday in the middle of Sept!
It was in the 50s at our place in the PA mountains this morning, but 74 here. sigh.
The goldenrod has started blooming here, but I have not seen too many other wildflowers. My fall azaleas have started. That is exciting!

Nice pictures! Thanks for taking them and sharing!

 
At 5:09 p.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

We've had a lot of rain, too, but also some very hot weather. My tomatoes (all 5 of them) have never turned red. What are your suggestions from green tomatoes?

 
At 10:45 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We saw a ton of Goldenrod at the cottage this week. I might not recognize Joe Pye if I saw it because it grew taller than me when we had it in our Sarnia garden.

 
At 5:59 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

And on this side of the world the summer has been very nice so far ! Usually it always rain in Belgium, but this year we had sunshine and warm weather ! I even had to water my plants outside which I hadn't done for years !

 
At 6:16 a.m., Blogger Tom said...

I sniggered at the 7 day summer comment, I know Jane will find that funny as she as been saying the same here this year... the only good thing about our wet summer is the size of some of the Blackberries, .. I can taste them now mixed with windfall apples and a good crumble mix and custard..

Hope alls well Philip.

 
At 8:25 a.m., Blogger amelia said...

Haven't we got just the prettiest wild flowers???
They certainly rival anything that can be grown in our gardens. I love traveling around to see them all, there are so many.
All our tomatoes are still green. We have had one ripe one but it was tasteless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home