DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Sunday, December 28, 2008

My Own Marmaduke

Before I got a Great Dane as a pet and companion, I never thought one could be so amusing and entertaining. Heidi makes me smile at all times of the day. She is quiet and gentle and spends most of her time sleeping or just lying about as long as I am in the room. But when I am ready to go she is quick to jump up and follow me.

Heid is all legs and part of her physical humour is how she decides to fold her legs in when she lies down. Sometimes she just puts them up in the air as in the picture below as she rolls around on her favourite spot. . . .my bed. Thsi is cute in a little dog but ridiculous in a Great Dane.


















"My Marmaduke" Heidi


I have taken to reading the comic Marmaduke. They are funnier now that I own a Great Dane that they were when I used to occasionally glance at them in the newspaper years ago. Here is a little background on the strip http://wondermark.com/the-comic-strip-doctor-marmaduke/

Brad Anderson, the creator of Marmaduke has accurately caught so many of the Great Dane's personality and physical presence.





















This 'toon struck me as particularly funny. Ironically, his master is also called Phil



If only Heidi could learn to dance like Honey the Great Dane in the video below. For years I have tried to find a partner to take ballroom dancing lessons with me. When I was 14, was the last time I learned to dance ballroom dances. if Heidi could dance, what fun we would have.









The wonderful dog in this video has its own web site http://bighoneydog.com/ with a special section on his freestyle dancing http://bighoneydog.com/canine-freestyle/

6 Comments:

At 9:58 p.m., Blogger Sharon said...

Heidi is a beautiful dog. I always enjoyed the Marmaduke comics and never had the honor of owning a Great Dane myself.

If you ever teach her to dance please make a video like this one and share it with us :)

Sharon

 
At 7:32 a.m., Blogger possum said...

Well you now have your work cut out for you! Either a comic strip of your own - or - teaching Heidi to dance! LOL! Of course, that includes the video! I can hardly wait!

 
At 6:20 p.m., Blogger dmmgmfm said...

Heidi is beautiful and I'm sure she is wonderful to have around.

The video was adorable, thanks for sharing it.

hugs,
laurie

 
At 10:31 a.m., Blogger amelia said...

I have always been a Marmaduke reader!! I love the doggie cartoons.

Heidi is just adorable and we have to meet one of these days!

 
At 6:50 p.m., Blogger Seldom Seen said...

I had the honor of owning 2 Great Danes and have always thought that the creator of the Marmaduke cartoon must have had one or at least knew a great dane to be able to capture their character the way he did.

 
At 6:31 p.m., Blogger manchester fat acceptance said...

i love great danes and hope to adopt one someday! is it weird that the ballroom dancing dane gave me goosebumps? hahaha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home