DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Monday, July 14, 2008

I have been Tagged

I have been tagged by blogger Daffy to try the following

1. Pick up the nearest book.

2. Open to page 123.

3.Find the 5th sentence

4. Post the next three sentences

5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.

I am going to pass on tagging anyone else. But if you try it and get interesting results post on it.

The book I picked up is "Canadians: A Portrait of a Country and It's People" by Roy MacGregor.
This is my current read. It was a gift from my grandchildren for Fathers' Day

On page 123: here are the next three sentences after the fifth one.

"All this for a player who wouldn't even be dressed for the games.

Lester Pearson, appearing before a London audience in 1939, many years before he'd win the Nobel Peace Prize or become prime minister, told his baffled audience that hockey is not just a game to Canadians. "It is perhaps fitting" Pearson said, "that this fastest of all games has become almost as much a symbol as the maple leaf or the beaver. Most young Canadians, in fact, are born with skates on their feet rather than with a silver spoon in their mouths""

I thought this random passage is telling. How Canadian is it that is is about hockey. It even manages to memtion Pearson, the maple leaf and beavers.

Note: Roy MacGregor is a newspaper columnist who has written many books. I have read a couple of them and enjoyed particularly the one about his father who worked all his life in the Bush, "A Life in the Bush". He has also written a series of 20 children's books, "the Screech Owl Mystery Series" which are about a travelling childrens hockey team and the life learning adventures they have. MacGregor is a lovely story teller. He has done well for a school drop out.



.

3 Comments:

At 11:07 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Philip, thanks for doing the tag. What a book! You couldn't have picked a better few lines to draw in the reader. You'll like this... I'm not always proud of my stupidity but sometimes it does raise a smile. I googled the author and all I got was a load of sites about Rob Roy! I sat for a while to let my brain rest and then I thought... NO! it can't be the same one! Hehe, bless me!
A life in the Bush has some great reviews.

 
At 6:27 a.m., Blogger Mary said...

A great passage from a well written book. Thanks for sharing.

I read the post below and left a comment there. How sad!

Blessings,
Mary

 
At 9:27 a.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

I was tagged for the same thing about a month back. I, too, opted not to pass the tag along but the book part was interesting. I would never have guessed where your quote came from if you hadn't shared that. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home