DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

We All Rested on the Verandah


We all were resting on the Verandah yesterday. Here Gage is flaked out in his familiar sleeping pose. June's wee dog thought he would get to know the Runt better.
























We are a pretty laid back bunch.


















Gage is long suffering as the wee dog tries to get him to play by climbing on his face. Gage is very gentle. The two times I have had to drag him off the neighbour's dog as he had it in a death grip to the neck have really surprised me. Unfortunately, the dog he has tangled with is not the bull terrier which killed my last dog. Now I have the biggest dog in the area. Others will have to learn to show him some respect. Unless you are just a tiny tea cup poodle (a sad freak of Nature) then he his kind and gentle.

The little dog is not the one I showed a couple of weeks back . That one died. I think the vet made a mistake. She gave the dog oral heart worm medication which she said was the same dosage for all dogs. The dog had a seisure type reaction right away and through the day got weaker and died. The drug company is paying for the $400 vet bill to watch the dog die and the autopsy to see what happened. I can't believe the dose is the same for a 100 pound dog and a two pound dog.

June was distraught over the loss of her $1.500 dog (Yikes! too much money for a dog) The breeder gave her this replacement ( a little larger dog) It is almost full grown now. This is all a very sad tale.

I am glad Gage seems to enjoy this tiny mutt. If he didn't he could dispatch it in short order.



















I am please the Runt seems to be willing to tolerate the wee mutt.




For those of you who were interested in the raised garden I built for Dave here it is with lots of plants growing. The cucumbers and squash will flow out of it. There are a few potato and tomato plants as well as cabbage and broccoli. I put some leeks in it. There are also some beets and swiss chard. With the amount of rain we have had, it has not been necessary to water this garden which I thought would readily dry out raised up as it is.
Posted by Picasa

9 Comments:

At 3:19 p.m., Blogger Janet said...

Poor little puppy. I would be getting me a new vet. Although heartworm medicine can sometimes be fatal if the dog already has them. But it's good that the drug company is paying for it.
I would never pay that much for a dog. Actually all my animals have come to me, one way or another.
I, too, am glad that Gage and the Runt are tolerating the baby.

And the raised garden is gorgeous.

 
At 4:21 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Philip that was a sad story, poor little thing but June has a lot of love and thankfully has another little pup to share the love with!
Gage appears to have a great temprament, and I'm not surprised that the runt is the same. He's with good natured people all day. You are a laid back bunch!
Oh, Dave must be so pleased with his raised garden! I can't believe how good it looks and how diferent. :o)
Before I go, I have tagged you. Don't feel obliged to do it but it's a quick and easy one. :o)

 
At 4:23 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

Great post again Philip.. always good to hear how the critters are... very sad news about the puppy, I hope this one gives Junes much pleasure. Gage is a great dog for ure and I have liked him since the first post you did on him. Top Dog for sure.

Tom

 
At 4:24 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

these grands are getting too old for me. Have to fight for time on the computer and they are more interested in movies, video games, going places. I told them they could do those at home. They do boardgames and things they wouldn't do at home here. I think the 13 year olds will not spend 2 weeks next summer.They miss their friends and sitting by the pool. Think I would rather be sitting on your porch watching the animals. LOL

 
At 4:32 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Philip--I am laughing at your description of the wee pup as a sad freak of nature. Spoken like a true larger dog owner!
Runt certainly has become thoroughly domesticated, no?

 
At 12:33 a.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

By no means would a little puppy like that take the same dose of heart worm medicine as Meeko.

Heart worm medicine comes in packages and the weight should have been on the outside of the package. Each type comes in a different colored package. For instance when we had the American Eskimo, the package was green. Meeko's comes in a brown package and distinctly says for large dogs. Meeko has to take one and a half because he weighs 110 pounds. June's little guy would have been required to take either a different dosage or only a half. Tell June she should be looking for a new vet.

Looks like you all had a relaxing time on the verandah.

Blessings,
Mary

 
At 12:33 p.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

Just love seeing a lazy day for all. :)

 
At 6:43 p.m., Blogger amelia said...

I love your runt!!!

I hope we don't have the same vet as June as we use the Springer Animal hosp!!!!

Poor puppy...

 
At 10:58 p.m., Blogger amelia said...

Thank you for commenting! Made my day!!


Since we've lived here permanently, 4 yrs ( we've had the place for twenty years but still worked in TO) we have had Dr Michelle Taylor and been very happy with her. They have had a couple of intern vets and one girl in particular who I'm happy is no longer there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home