DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Earth Hour Day

This is the day to observe Earth Hour. As a symbolic reminder of climate change turn off your lights at 8:00 PM for an hour tonight.

This new environmental event, in the spirit of Earth Day, began last year in Sydney, Australia.

If you believe polls and the news, 70 % of Canadians are going to participate this year. Humm! Pretty optimistic.




This leaves us with the question, "What will I do for an hour in the dark?" I suggest you take the opportunity to be outside and experience your neighbourhood in the dark, without light pollution. If you live somewhere where you don't have to lie on the cold snow, as I do, lie down and look at the heavens. Those of us who live in the country know the delights of the sky but those in an urban environment, could benefit from a reminder.

Another good way to spend an hour without the electricity: plan a candlelight dinner with a special friend (s). We all look so much better by candlelight:) Take your time you have an hour to eat.

If you decide to do something unusual and fun let me know.

6 Comments:

At 7:29 a.m., Blogger amelia said...

Because we live in the north like you, we'll probably look at the stars or go to bed early. We usually go around eight anyway so, as you can see, nothing noteworthy happening here!!!

 
At 12:48 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

Great post..
I went to google.uk today and they have turn the page black to promote this.
I think you hit the nail on the head with what to do.. light pollution for many of us spoils the night skies... We tendto sit at night with a few candles on anyway... no I know it is just Janes way of looking at me in the dim light... I think I'd look much better at midnight in a coalshed.. me.

 
At 2:13 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you Philip, this is a timely reminder... Timely for me as I didn't know and I still have time to participate. I think we will play eye spy by candle light in the dining room. For some reason when you get the four of us around a table we make the happiest memories!
Give Gage and Runt a good hug for me! :o)

 
At 9:11 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

This kind of passed me by, but if it's a good idea to be outside, it would great if we could do it in warmer weather.

 
At 12:29 a.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

All the power was off in our house, but I was appalled that our city left all of the lights on. What does that say for our city leaders. I am phoning City Hall in the morning to voice my dismay.

I noticed that many of the neighbors did take part and was happy to see that. I seldom have lights on in the house at night except if I'm working online. Glad you did your part.

Blessings,
Mary

Blessings,
Mary

 
At 5:35 p.m., Blogger dabrah said...

Hello, someone else who spread the word about Earth Hour. I meditated. It was so calm and quiet, that my daughter's very lively dog even fell asleep! It's Earth Day on 22 April. This is something that began 38 years ago, so not a newbie like Earth Hour, but both are valid in their own way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home