DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Some of my Critters


Here are a few of the critters about the place. They are what get me up in the morning. They demand little more than to be fed and watered and treated with kindness. They give back joy to me.


















This is my flock of one. The only one that hatched out of a incubator group of 40. It turned out the temperature was not high enough. I recently tried to move it into the chicken coop but it was not comfortable there. The other hens did not attack it but they let it know it didn't belong so it was aways trying to hide. I was not going to move it back into my kitchen so I decided to put it in a cage of its own in the rabbitry.

I think this white chicken is a banty hen. Time will tell. I have a couple of white banty's in the hen house that a friend gave me.

I seldom name my animals so this chick is nameless. We have as nice a relationship as you can have with a hen. When it was in the kitchen she sat with. and on, me as we watched TV. She was learning to stay perched on my shoulder. I thoughI might let her think she is a falcon. I bet she misses TV in the shed.

As soon as I open her cage she wants to step out onto my hand as you can see in the photo.





















This is my latest batch of bunnies. The other older batch of seven black ones are in the rabbitry. This group is in the basement of the house with their mother for now. I wish they would stand still long enough for me to take a clear picture. I resist picking them up but if I put my hand in their midst they will cuddle against it and lick it. They are so damn cute. There are six in this bunch . One black, one rusty one and four white ones. The white one with the grey nose and tail is my favourite.



















This is Babe at the basement door. She is there every morning waiting for me to emerge with the feed. She has a name because she is really June's pig. She begged for one that she could keep as a pet when they were born. It turns out she is more my pet. If I was more practical Babe would be in the freezer supplying us with pork this coming year. Instead, she has a date with a boar so she can be productive by having a litter, her first.

My other sow, Babe's mother, will get the same date with some stunning boar.

"A pimping I will go, a pimping I will go, . . . . . . . . ." I wish I didn't have to arrange these things.




I certainly don't have to arrange a breeding for my cats. I thought I had them down to a manageable number when "Oops, she did it again!" Mother cat had a litter down in the shed and brought them to the kitchen when she wanted them weaned. And then, "Oops, another cat did it". She had a litter outside and dropped two very little kittens at the back door. They are still in a nest I made in a closet out of the way. I believe one kitten from the first litter and the two from the second are missing from this picture. You do the math. Too many!!!


I need to find out from someone how I can get blogger to let me post more than four pictures at a time.??? Any help out there.

Besides this group of critters I have the following, all named by others: a cow, Daisy, and a heifer, Lucy, another sow, Ruby and my dog, Ben, and my neighbour's dog, Blackie (we share). Sadly, Blackie has gone missing but I still have a little hope! I would have liked to include them.
Perhaps, another time.



11 Comments:

At 1:22 p.m., Blogger Rosie said...

I love your piggie...I really want one. Maybe soon.

About the photo thing...are you on the "new" blogger? ...or still on the old one? Also, reduce your photos in your photo editor before trying to post as much as possible. You don't need terribly high res or large files for internet use.

 
At 1:51 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

Good advise from above,
I bet that lot takes some feeding, I love all your animal but would not want that many cats about needing to be feed and such like.

 
At 3:40 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I need to find out from someone how I can get blogger to let me post more than four pictures at a time.??? Any help out there.

Can you not post your four and then post four more afterwards? It's worked for me in the past.

 
At 4:58 p.m., Blogger Renie Burghardt said...

Ohhh, I love your animals! The little hen is so cute. I had a batch of Silkie bantam chickens for several years, and then was down to one that I called Chicklet. She was over ten years old when she went to chicken heaven, earlier this year. I used to have rabbits as well, but not lately. I also had a goat named Kecske, (catch-keh) which is the Hungarian word for goat, and was named that by my Hungarian Grandma. Animals do bring so much joy and fun. Now I'm down to 2 dogs and 5 cats. Five neutered and spayed cats, so no more kittens at my house. There are too many cats that are abandoned around here, and end up at my house, because they procreate and people don't want them, so dump them on other people. Sorry, this happens to be a pet peeve of mine. I love animals. All animals. I can't bear to see them abandoned and hungry. But besides the domestic animals, my place is over run by deer, raccoons, squirrels, including a pure white squirrel, oppossums, and I even have a resident armadillo, and much more. Oops, sorry didn't mean to make this post such a lenghty one. But when it comes to animals, I get more than a little wordy!

Enjoyed your pictures.

Renie

 
At 7:42 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

I suspect the little hen has bonded with you. I think birds tend to imprint with whoever the first see--so since she was alone & you cared for her, she thinks of you as a fellow chicken. Quite an honor, I'd say.

 
At 11:33 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

Why don't you keep that cute little white chicken with you and let it watch TV instead of banning it somewhere in a shed. It's used to human life now !And you absolutely have to do something with your cats and have them spayed, they will die with all these pregnancies and it's not nice either to have so many kitten and being unable to take care of or kill them. Times have changed and today we are much more human and caring with animals then 30 years ago, even farmers.
Asking Blogger to upload pictures is like asking a snail to participate on a Formule 1 race.
I gave it up it's too slow.
Tomorrow if you want you can look at the pictures I took in Italy when I was on holidays on the Garda Lake. All the pictures I uploaded with Photobucket, that goes quick you can upload until 100 pictures at one time and you just have to copy and paste the html code in your post.

 
At 9:02 p.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

How cute! We just have the one dog and one cat now. They are the last pets I'll ever have, unless dust bunnies count as pets. Oh, I do have a pet rock, too. :)

 
At 5:45 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say that you have a menagerie there and I suspect you like them all. I would. Except kittens grow up to be cats and too many are just left out to wander and many song birds are destroyed each year. Other than that...My daughter has 11 cats. And one inside cat. All have been "fixed" at a tremendous cost but she thinks and I agree that is best if you have outside cats sorely influenced by prowling tom cats.

We used to set hens and raise chickens during World War II. Traded eggs for food at the local country grocery store. Was a marvelous time to be alive here in the states but hell in most places overseas.

I enjoyed your site this morning.

 
At 9:44 a.m., Blogger Peggy said...

You really should name the little hen. LOL I also think you should let her be with you till bedtime.That way she can get some tv time in and be with her "mommy". :) I just love seeing photos of your animal family. I post 4 pics and then go back and post 4 more and it seems to work that way.

 
At 11:16 a.m., Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Thanks for all the leads to how to post more than four pictures on blogger. There sure are a lot of redundancies built into this computer stuff.

 
At 7:32 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

Wow!! What a lovely bunch of animals you have. You say you live in River Valley, Ontario. What part of Ontario is that in? I live in southern Ontario between Toronto and London.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home