DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Tragedy, The Insanity, The Criminality



















One likes to think that decisions to go to war; risking so many lives and costing so much of a Nation's treasure is a reasoned one. Around a table, a very sober and serious group of men and women speak of all the implications coming to the conclusion, "Mr. President, we have come to the near unanimous decision that we have no other alternative than to go to war." It seems I am a dreamer and have watched too many movies.



Recently, a document has been published which gives a different picture of what really went on before the War on Iraq. It is a conversation among President Bush, President Aznar of Spain and Advisor Rice. It is shocking in its unreasonable tone and casualness.



Historian Dr. Juan Cole, discusses this document in no uncertain terms. http://juancole.com/

"El Pais published a transcript (reprinted at this link) of the conversation between George W. Bush, Jose Maria Aznar of Spain, and Condoleeza Rice held at Crawford before the Iraq War. Bush is typically bullheaded, impatient, conspiratorial, bullying, arrogant, ill-informed and way over-optimistic. The transcript shows the true colors of the man-- a sort of thuggish, ignorant Mafia don-- who destroyed the United States and destroyed Iraq. "

I urge everyone to read all of Dr. Cole's remarks. He is among the most informed people on the Middle East and the War in Iraq.


To my dying day, I will never understand why the American people have not taken care of President Bush by now. (Unless stopped, his next catastrophic decision will be to attack Iran).
Like a voice in the wilderness Daniel Ellsberg calls for bureaucrats and politicians to do their duty and uphold the Constitution in defense of the Nation. Ellsberg personally learned his lesson over Vietnamm when he belatedly did his duty and had the Penatagon Papers published.
'A Coup Has Occurred' - by Daniel Ellsberg

Empeachment is the least the Americans could do. Justice cries out for trials for war crimes for members of the Bush Administration. I will spare you my rant!


One feels so helpless! "Nero fiddles while Rome burns."

3 Comments:

At 11:28 a.m., Blogger GaP said...

I also share you bewilderment. As an American I can only chalk it up to a malaise of helplessness, a feeling of "What the hell can I do? It's bigger than me, I'll get stomped on or run into the ground with exhaustion if I become a firebrand." Plus, most of us are either working ridiculous hours to chase the impossible Materialist American Dream or just to keep our heads above the poverty line.

As a whole, I would say the whole egalitarian "experiment" of The United States has become an unwieldly failure. We've replicated the problems that drove our ancestors to these shores in the first place...Crushing poverty, roving brutal imperialism...doing what we humans do best, basically...Amassing power and then brutally implementing it. It was a nice idea, though...GaP

 
At 6:14 p.m., Blogger Tee/Tracy said...

As an American, I do feel helpless.

I look forward to reading the links.

I'm curious what you think individual Americans can do in this situation?

I've signed petitions to have him impeached, written to senators, written to the President himself, educated other people on my blog of my political opinions, etc.

What else is there to do? ... So many of us just hold onto our last shred of hope for the next election to bring about the changes we want.

 
At 11:48 a.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

I'm with tee. I have done everything one person can do. If only more would rise up and do something, anything before it's too late.

Iran is going to be the next country destroyed to give the bush his legacy as a "war president." Too bad, history will say otherwise and will not be kind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home