DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Remembering Terry Fox


Today is the day there are Terry Fox runs across Canada (some 9oo), and in places around the World, to raise funds for the Terry Fox Foundation which funds efforts to cure cancer. (since 1980 $400 million has been raised not only in Canada but around the World.

Terry Fox captured our imagination and heart back in 1980 when he began his one legged run across Canada from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Cancer had taken his leg at age 18 and he had a passion, no an obsession, to run across Canada to raise some money to fight Cancer. It was largely a solitary dream that went unnoticed at first until he got into Ontario and people began to realize his effort was "for real".

I wish I had taken the time to watch him run by as I live not far from the Trans Canada Highway. Route 17, the southern branch of the two routes of the TCH across Ontario. I did follow his efforts in the news and realized the excitment he was raising. Alas, it was in Northern Ontario, just short of Thunder Bay, that his cancer began again and he had to give up his run to the dismay of all. He had hitched along the highway, often a lonely figure , for some 5400 km. He soon after died having raised $20 million dollars in his effort that year.

He is among Canada best know and admired Canadians and we continue to honour his memory and take up his mission to raise money for a cure for cancer each year with the Terry Fox runs.
























This is the stature of Terry Fox in Ottawa near the parliament building. This photo is one that is lonely and cold as his run must have often been.

It is certainly true that one person with a dream and determination can make a difference. Terry Fox epitomized that for all of us.

It is interesting to go back and revisit this historic Marathon of Hope run. One of the best places in in the CBC film Archives Terry Fox's Marathon of Hope - People - CBC Archives

Here is an article on Terry written in June. 2006 CBC News Indepth: Terry Fox

And, of course, Wikipedia Terry Fox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11 Comments:

At 11:36 p.m., Blogger Rachel said...

How wonderful that you remember and give tribute to this man who did such a wonderful deed. I had heard of him of course. He is a true hero!

 
At 11:37 p.m., Blogger david hayes said...

Sounds like such an interesting man/story. I'd never heard of him, so thanks for telling us about this.

 
At 12:05 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I've visited the monument in Thunder Bay. It's very moving. He was a true hero. I tear up thinking about him.

 
At 4:06 a.m., Blogger Tom said...

I do remember something about this run on the news.
I like your writing and how you draw the pictures in my minds eye with you words.
Thank you for your visit to Wiggers World' again. I will link to you from there so I and others can nip over more often.

 
At 7:19 a.m., Blogger lv2scpbk said...

Just stopping by from Wiggles world (old wom tigley). I love the title of your site. Nice place.

 
At 5:25 p.m., Blogger david santos said...

Good memory, thank you. Have good day

 
At 6:55 p.m., Blogger Carole Burant said...

I remember when Terry came through Sudbury along highway 69..I didn't get to see him in person but he sure made an imprint in my heart for what he was doing. When my sons were old enough I got them a book about Terry Fox so that they would also know about him. Just yesterday I was watching the news and they were saying that even in places like Cuba, he is well known and they have the Terry Fox runs there too! I had posted the recipe for my butter tarts recently because as you said, many Americans had no idea what they were:-)

 
At 9:00 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

How interesting. I remember seeing a made-for-TV movie about Terry Fox. And I especially remember that he made it as far as Thunder Bay--I looked it up on a map, and saw that he was cut down far short of his desired goal. Of course, he still made his goal, as people remember him and his courageous run.

 
At 1:58 a.m., Blogger Alyssa said...

What a special and unique person he was. It is good to be reminded that there were, and are, people like that in this world.

 
At 4:38 p.m., Blogger Tee/Tracy said...

That is really inspiring. Reminds me of a book I read called "No Excuses" by Kyle Maynard.

 
At 4:02 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

I don't know why THE QUEEN didn't write in your canadian passport, lol ! We had a thunderstorm yesterday I can tell you that makes a lot of noise in the mountains !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home