DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A Place of Peace


With the temperature near 90F and the noise and dust of logging trucks passing by the house, the cabin is a lovely place for a little respite. It is really only 1000 yards from the house across the field and across the river on the back 40 (actually back 240 acres) but it is a different world.


(If you click on the pictures they enlarge)



















With the cabin built on the side of the river trench it is nestled into its surroundings, a grove of elegant elm trees. This so contrasts with the farm house which stands bold and exposed on the apron by the logging road, the Baie Jeanne Road. (So named locally as it go as far as the south most bay on Lake Temagami.



















I never tire of the river which has so many faces as the river rises and falls throughout the seasons. It is flush with water due to the week of rain we just had. I trust the thousands of lakes and beaver ponds upstream are also full so that wild life can flourish in abundance. This country of forest, Pre-Cambrian rock and water nourtures so much. I recently learned that the city of Sudbury has 200 lakes within its boundaries. So much of the Canadian North is as much water as land.



The above view of the river is from the bridge on the property, looking downstream. The cabin is on the right side about 400 yards away, hidden from view.




















This is the view from the bridge looking upstream. On a sunny day, I love the way the river mirrors the trees along the bank.

I feel so privileged to have the river on my land to hold stewartship over. The water is wonderful cool, clean drinkable. I draw my water directly from the river, untreated. Such clean bodies of water are increasingly scarce.




















You can tell who the water dog is. Blackie is just swimming back and forth in the current by the shore. Ben, my mutt, just likes to stand in the water to cool his belly. This is directly in front of the cabin.

The water is still very cool. I was in a little downstream trying to recover the foot valve to my water line. My water pump stopped pumping yesterday. So now you know the real reason I am on the river,. . .trying to get my plumbing going! Still I find it all romantic being by the river.
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 2:25 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

whatever reason you were down at the river lucky you! Want to rent your cabin to a old lady and her goats???? LOL

 
At 8:53 a.m., Blogger Sam said...

OMG the river is nice and high, makes good swimming at the cabin! You don't know how much, in weather like this I miss living in grand ole River Valley.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home