DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Those Steps Had to Go


For some time my front verandah has been in need of repair. The first task has been to repair the steps. They were too steep for my aging friends and they were beginning to decay. Having taken a few tumbles off them myself, I approach them with caution but others are at greater risk. They were particularly hazardous in the Winter or when wet. The biggest complaint was there was no handrail. Over a year ago, I promised Veronica, the fair Floridian, that I would make them safer for her. Well, that necessity passed but now June is nervous of them. So. . . . . . .



















On the east side I removed the steps and will be developing a garden instead of replacing them.




















On the west side, most of the work has been done. I put in a ramp for Dave so he can easily reach the ground unaided. And I have put in new steps, with a handrail. They are still fairly steep but a lot safer. So on to more improvements, a new porch roof, some repairs and painting all.

In spite of my modest carpentry skills and my normal inertia on getting things done, I feel satisfied with my efforts. I am one of those people who can tolerate a problem about the place. (witness the long time I will haul water before I fix the pump). I usually need a crisis or someone to light a fire under me to get at it, dreamer that I am. I saw June coming with the matches so I got at it. Too bad Veronica isn't here to try the steps out. Alas!


Footnote

Here is some more interesting information about Meagan MacGrath's climbing of Mount Everest which I wrote about on May 25. On her way down the mountain she was instrumental in rescuing another climber who was suffering from cerebral edema, from which she would have died without help. Here is an article about it. Canadian Everest climber who saved fellow mountaineer honored in Nepal - Inter


Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

At 4:59 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

when you are all finished at your place come on down.. have alot of projects waiting on ya! :)

 
At 7:24 p.m., Blogger J C said...

Maybe Veronica the fair Floridian took flight becuz there were no handrails, hmmmmm? HeeeHeeeHeeee After you leave Peggy's place, you can come here. I have lots and lots of projects that have been on dh's honeydo list forever!~and will likely stay there!

 
At 8:58 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Any sort of handyman work at all impresses the heck out of me.

I was just telling Cuppa of Meagan MacGrath's heroism yesterday. The CBC report I heard said she pulled her for 8km.

 
At 3:18 p.m., Blogger Unknown said...

Great job on ramp and steps with hand rail....

 
At 2:14 p.m., Blogger Sam said...

Wow new steps! No more falling down them now I guess! And you were the one that says that nagging doesn't work. Hmmmm I will have to think about that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home