DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Friday, June 08, 2007

Here I Am!!

In response to my "always concerned for others' email pal, Peggy, I am right here at home and in good health. I wish I could say the same for my computer. About two weeks ago, an electrical storm destroyed my modem. This is the fourth time this has happened. I am frustrated that AOL took so long to send me another one. Until the next storm, I am back on line.

Having some time away from my computer, it has given me some more time for reading and watching multi-channel TV. When June and Dave came to stay they brought a TV dish. For over 20 years I was happy with what ever I could snag with my rabbit ears for free. I learned a lot. I will write another time how my viewing brought into contrast some real differences between Canada and the US (my lifelong interest)

For now, I would like to share the list of books on the shelf beside my bed. A lot can be revealed about us by what we read. The books that end up by my bed do so because I have been reading them, I cherish them or reference them often. Across the room is a larger bookshelf and there are many in my library and in virtually every room in my house. I get great comfort in having them around even though for many things they have been usurped by the computer.

Here is my list.

The Holy Bible, the red Moroccan leather bound one my mother gave me years ago.

Buy Wholesale by Mail 2001

Shape of the Past The text on historiography written by John Warwick Montgomery a evangelical Christian history professor of mine who believed the only true view of history was from the Christian perspective. linear with cycles of sin, judgement and grace, with the Christ event in the middle. How we so disagreed but he stretched my young mind.

A History of the Vikings

The Prophet, Kahlil Gibran

Collected Stories, Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Dictionary of World History

The new York Times Library Desk Reference

Fair and Tender Ladies, Lee Smith

Oral History, Lee Smith

Saving Grace, Lee Smith

Gap Creek, Robert Morgan

(The above four are my recent reading in Appalachian literature. . .Good stuff)

The Sea, John Banville

The Canoe and White Water

Points of View, Rex Murphy

French Conversation and Review Grammer

The Snowshoe Book

Beyond the Shadow of the Senators, Brad Snyder (This is the Washington Senators of the Negro baseball league not the Ottawa Senators of the NHL)

The Collapse of Globalization, John Ralston Saul

Robertson Davies Man of Myth

On Being a Christian, Hans Kung

Feeling Good Handbook, David D. Burns,M.D.


So what is within reach for your bedtime reading???

2 Comments:

At 6:36 p.m., Blogger Navigator said...

Why don't you buy a surge suppressor and plug it into your electical outlet and then plug the modem into that? They are inexpensive and you can get them anywhere, really, Canadian Tire, etc.

The only book we have in common appears to be the John Ralston Saul book, the Collapse of Globalism (it was interesting, but he wimped out in the end).

Here are some suggestions for you that I have recently read:

America Alone, by Mark Steyn
Infidel, by Ayaan Ali Hirsi
The God Deception, by Richard Dawkins
Whose War is it?, by Jack Granatstein
The Blind Watchmaker, by Richard Dawkins
Got is not Great, by Christopher Hitchens
God's Terrorists, by Charles Allen
A Long Way Gone (left the book in Florida, so I can't recall the author's name, but it is the young man who is a rehabiitated child soldier from Sierra Leone -- if you saw the motion picture, Blood Diamond, you saw his life-- sad, but also rivetting)

 
At 11:35 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

I am so glad you finally posted. I was ready to send the mounted police to check on you! :) I am so tired I don't have a single book beside the bed or my chair right now. that is very unusual. Heat index was 104F today and very humid. Drains the energy right out of me but must make sure animals keep cool water to help cool them down. Crazy weekend on top of that. Will email you soon and fill you in. Have a great weekend

 

Post a Comment

<< Home