DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Friday, May 20, 2011

" Now is the End, Perish the World"






















It is at times like this that I think of the skit of the Beyond the Fringe satirical review entitled,"The End of the World". It has always made me smile and in a way gave me hope. I recommend it to you. I regret that it is not one of the skits posted on You Tube so you could see and hear it performed.

In our family, we grew up on Beyond the Fringe and a couple of other British satirical reviews.
We, as a family, listened to the records of them over and over again. It got so we knew many of the reviews off by heart, so much so, throughout our lives when a situation prompted us we would quote a phrase or line from one of the skits and the rest of the family would laugh being reminded of the humour of the the whole skit. It became a form of our family language code. I wonder if other families have coded language they enjoy?
There are some You Tube videos available of part of Beyond the Fringe. My favourite skit, if one can have a favourite, when you still laugh out loud at them all, is the one by Alan Bennett, "Take a Pew".It is a parody of a sermon. It became even funnier to me when I came to try to craft sermons for a living. Here it is for your enjoyment, while you are waiting for the end of the World. Perhaps, you will find meaning in it as to how you should have been living your life. :)





Needless to say, I don't put much stock in the idea that the World is about to end. but just in case I have it wrong this time, and this will be my last post I want you to know how much I have enjoyed keeping this blog and getting to know, enjoy and even cherish you, my circle of blogging friends. My only regret is that we never have, and never will, if predictions come true.

The end . . . . . . .or to be continued. . . . .

8 Comments:

At 8:03 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I remember seeing this on tv once when I was a kid, probably 9 or 10. My brother is an hairy man, and I am a smooth man. And where do you think you are going. We were visiting relatives, and I laughed. An adult turned to me asking if I understood it because he didn't. I understood it well enough -- it was a parody, even if I didn't know the word back then. Unfortunately, my ears don't work so well now, and I couldn't catch a big chunk of this.

 
At 10:33 a.m., Blogger Hidden Haven Homestead said...

Thanks for the link.. loved it! And if its the end will see you on the other side. At least we will get to meet face to face. LOL

 
At 3:32 p.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

I hate to admit it but there are so many things wrong with our world right now that it might not be a bad idea to call it quits and start anew!
(only half joking)

 
At 10:52 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

On the subject of the end of the world as we know it...history is riddled with those who predicted the end, prepared for it, even climbed to mountain tops to wait for it--only to have to come down again.

 
At 7:42 a.m., Blogger amelia said...

Now this has come and gone, we'll have to wait for December 21st 2012 and see if we all wake up on the morning of the 22nd!!

 
At 2:44 p.m., Blogger possum said...

Gee, I was so wrapped up in waiting for the Preakness to start, I forgot to be scared. LOL! No, I don't bet on races, but I do like to watch them run.

 
At 10:31 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew! Not the end, yet. More time for ice-cream! My granddaughter and I went to a fireworks show that night. It was at a church! I didn't heard any advance notice of it, but we could hear the balsting, so we followed the light (pun intended) and watched the Doodm's Day Show. But I guess we get to wait for Oct 21, now. I heard that on the news this morning.

 
At 11:42 a.m., Blogger Rachel said...

Now he's changed it to Oct. 21. I don't understand how he comes up with these things, but in his mind I guess it's all clear.

I couldn't catch all the words in the video, so it was a little hard to follow.

The 21st was my birthday, so I was visiting some family and eating cake. Enjoyed every minute of it too!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home