DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

God Save the Queen!

Today is the Queen's birthday. Her Royal Highness, Queen Elizabeth II, is 85 and going strong.
She is the Queen of Canada as well as the Queen of Britain. ( I mention this in case any Americans do not know that Canada is a Monarchy.) May she reign for many more years.






















I lifted this picture from the Toronto Star Newspaper.

I thought it was a nice one of the Queen. She is always nicely turned out and almost never without a hat. (It reminds me of the Prebyterian minister's wife of my youth whose different hat every sunday was more of a subject of discussion than the sermon. ) She has been everything that we sing about in "God Save the Queen" She certainly is gracious and noble. She has reigned over us for longer than any other British monarch. Her life has been one of duty so there is no expectation she would step down. We expect she will be with us for many more years. Her mother, the "Queen Mom" lived in good health until she was 101.

You have to feel a little sorry for Prince Charles who is now the longest waiting heir to the throne. His whole life he has a preparation to become king. It must be strange to have to wait for your mother to die before you can take up your purpose in life. In fact, he may never be king.
There are those who would prefer Prince William to be the next monarch.

Speaking of the young Prince. We are all waiting for his wedding. There will be many of us getting up at 3:00 AM on April 29 to watch him marry the lovely Katherine. I am amused at how interested Americans are in the Royal Family. I think there are those who in their hearts wished they had a noble and royal family. I think they are more interested in the Royal Family than the French Canadians, who I find are largely indifferent to the Royals.

My sister is off to London to see the wedding. She will be among the throngs to line the streets to see the Royal processions to and from Westminster Abbey. She has said she may even sleep on the street to make sure she has a good viewing spot. At 70 years old she certainly is a gamer. It has been hot in London so the weather should be nice. I trust all will go well.

I will be in Ottawa for Canada Day (July 1) where I may have a chance to see the new Royal couple there as part of their visit to Canada.

















Speaking of "well"!

There are some who have asked me how my well drilling went. In the picture above you will see the well head showing in the new fallen snow. The well was drilled to 420 feet most of it through the bedrock of the Pre-Cambrian Shield.

















Heidi trying to figure out her shadow.

This snow will be gone by the end of the day as it is going to warm up on this bright sunny day.

9 Comments:

At 1:38 p.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

That's a lovely picture of the Queen. I remember as a young girl being fascinated with her and her younger sister Margaret who was much more my age. The movie "The King's Speech" made me remember those times too.

 
At 1:58 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Have you seen this spoof of the wedding?

 
At 9:30 p.m., Blogger Rachel said...

The Queen looks lovely in her blue dress and matching hat!! Must be something to be a Queen and have people bowing and being at your beck and call!

How wonderful that your sister is going to London! I hope she doesn't have to sleep on the street, but I can understand her wanting a good spot so as not to miss anything!!

 
At 10:28 p.m., Blogger John and Carol said...

When I was in grade school, our whole class watched Elizabeth's coronation. It was a big event, even in Denver, CO

 
At 3:56 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

I have sometimes wondered if all the queen's hats aren't just a modern substitute for a crown. The hats are frequently large and look rather crown-ish.

 
At 5:04 p.m., Blogger possum said...

AH, I remember listening to her coronation on the radio. We did not have TV yet. That is a great picture. My aunt, also an Elizabeth, was a great fan of the royals.
Nice shot of Heidi, too. My Lab used to bark at and "attack" his shadow, but only when it was on the snow. Go figure.

 
At 7:47 p.m., Blogger Putz said...

do you know that when i was over in england in 1962, the queen seemed olfd to me<>><<>her mother seem real ancient, but both of them seem matronly, now i find she is only 85, of coursze her mother passed, but she must have only been in her twentiesies in 1962>>>or was i unconcious back then in birmingham when she came through in a parade

 
At 10:55 a.m., Blogger J C said...

Happy Easter Philip.

 
At 2:46 p.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

It's true, Americans are fascinated with the whole idea of "Royalty." Maybe becuase we fought so hard to get them out of our country?

I'll be watching the wedding and truly hope that Charles NEVER gets the throne. He doesn't deserve it and the thought of that "...." Camilla as Queen makes me gag. (I admit it, I'm a Princess Diana fan for life)

So off my rant now. I'm sure your queen will live to see many more birthdays and has to see William give her the heir and a spare as required.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home