DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

My Get Away

Last Week I escaped to the big city. I decided to go south to Mississauga and spend my birthday with my friend Lynne. Yes it was my birthday. Happy birthday to me! But a lot of family and friends all ready knew this. It seems at some point I have entered my birth date on some sites on the computer, mainly Facebook, which I hardly use, and this social site alerts your "friends" on the site, of you big day whether or not you want them to.

It is getting harder to sneak around and keep some information about yourself , to yourself.

I thank all of you who left a comment on the occasion of my birthday. It is nice to be remembered and noticed. I wonder though,. . . . . . . .will Facebook still be reminding people of my birthday 40 years from now when I have died and am hopefully in blessed Oblivion. What will happen to all the stuff we have on the computer? Will it have eternal life when we no longer do. Humm! It seems it would be appropriate that postings on a computer should have a natural ending to their existence.

I had a lovely time; all too short. Lynne is always good company. There is always lots of talk, some Scrabble, TV ( including the frustration of trying to operate her complex system when we want to watch a movie on it) and food.

Going out for dinner is a real treat for me. We did this twice. Once to a local pub on the way to a movie, "The Tourist" and to actually celebrate my birthday a fancier place a little further way, La Castile. After a meal in the dining area we went to the bar and lounge complete with a lovely lounge singer, Rhonda Silver, at the piano. She played our requests and we danced a little. It has been a long time since I did this sort of thing. There was a time when I fancied myself an urban man about town. I wish now I had all the money I spent back then wining and dining the ladies. This night was my night to be wined (a solft drink for me) and dined. It was thoroughly enjoyable. At the end of the evening Ms. Silver gave me a copy of her disc of some of her original songs as a birthday present. (pictured below) I suspect we will return sometime.


















Books: The Shack, Around the Rock in a Bad Mood and my new disc. Twelve Pieces of Silver.


I tried once again traveling to Toronto on the overnight bus. This takes the shortest time, (just over 6 hours) getting into Toronto about 7:AM. It has lots of stops along the way on the 250 mile trip. The first time I used the bus I found I could not sleep on it but I thought I would give it another try. This time I think I slept part of the way which made the time go faster. I prefer traveling on the train where I can pass the time reading and even talking to other passengers.
The overnight bus does give you an extra day at the other end if you are not too tired to enjoy it.

I came back on the train, joining the morning rush hour crowd on the GO (Government of Ontario) Train which passed just by Lynne's neighbourhood. It efficiently gets one to Union Station in Toronto. It always makes me think of the movie Silver Streak where the train comes crashing thought the wall of the station's great hall. )That was Union Station playing the part of a Chicago Station)

At Union Station I got the Ontario Northland Railroad's Northlander. This is the train that goes due north in Ontario. North Bay is about half way. It goes on to Cochrane, where one can get the Polar Bear Express to Moosonee on James Bay. Someday I am must go there to see Ontario's ocean coast and this four hundred year old outpost settlement.

I borrowed a couple of books from Lynne to read on the train (pictured above) ; The Shack and Around the Rock in a Bad Mood. The Shack caught my eye since it features an encounter with "God" in a Shack. I have spend all my life trying to know God in one way or another. It has yet to reveal itself to me in other than momentary fragments. In this book, God is a heavy set Black Woman. What a surprise! The other parts of the Triune Mystery are equally as surprising. It is an interesting and touching read. The author, Wm. Paul Young, is just as interesting and complex as this religious book. He is well to the right of any of my religious convictions. I would enjoy a personal conversation with him.

The other book is a self published book, Lynne purchased it from a man at her door who was the author. It is an interesting real life adventure of kayaking around The Rock, the Island of Newfoundland, part of our tenth province. I love these wonderful paddling adventures that are still possible in Canada, where we still have some truly wild places.

It was good to get home after stopping to collect Heidi who was spending a few days at Parker's house. Now that my birthday is over, I know Spring is just around the corner. My mother always said so. And mothers don't lie! She was kept in the hospital for two weeks when I was born (it was what they did back then. I think they thought women were frail and needed this rest). So when she came home with me it was March in Toronto, the beginning of Spring there. Winter, here, will make me wait for April. In any case, the melt will be on soon.

10 Comments:

At 10:45 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Congratulations, Philip. I probably missed saying that on FB but I can't remember one way or t'other.

I hope spring is on its way as I haven't bothered to shovel the latest fall of snow.

I have friends who took the Polar Bear Express, and they didn't give it a ringing endorsement, saying you see nothing but trees on the train and very little at Moosonee when you get there. Just reporting what I heard fyi.

 
At 11:29 a.m., Blogger @JDHealingTimeOnEarth said...

Happy Birth day, Philip! I am glad to hear you had such an enjoyable time!
Yes, Spring must be just around the corner, at lease some where. Not here yet, however! Take care.

 
At 1:05 p.m., Blogger Loretta said...

Happy Birthday! What a wonderful way to spend your birthday. So glad you got to do it. Everyone needs to escape once in awhile.

I read "The shack" but didn't care for it at all. I know a lot of people love it, but, it just wasen't for me.

I have Easter flowers blooming, and a lot of flowers coming up. I am so glad to see spring!!

 
At 3:56 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Philip--what a delighful way to celebrate your birthday. Taking a birthday trip is highly recommended.
Even though I have not met Lynne, I am liking her for treating you so well.
Ah, as for having back the money you spent wining and dining--and give up the memories? I trust there are some good memories.

 
At 6:20 p.m., Blogger Caddie said...

Birthdate showed on my screen. I don't use FB or else.

Glad to hear you've had an enjoyable time with Lynne. (is it Lynn or Lynne - you've written it both ways)

I'm ready for one myself. I'm dreaming of hot beaches and soothing saltwater.

Spring has sprung here in east Tennessee. Being this early, things will surely face more cold before the heat wave sets in. I welcome the end of winter's grip.

 
At 7:35 a.m., Blogger possum said...

Well, Happy Birthday, a little late. Sorry, I seldom check in w/Facebook.
I tried reading The Shack, but gave up after a couple chapters. Guess the Buddhist in me decided to read something else.
Picked my first daffodils yesterday. Spring clean-up has started... stiff and sore today. But, the white stuff out there is just frost. I can live with that.
Glad you had a nice birthday trip and got to share it with Lynn! Lucky you! Lucky Lynn!

 
At 7:56 a.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

I can certainly relate to your getting all those birthday wishes. At some point or other I signed up for Facebook but found it very boring so have not gone back...but the birthdate was there and I heard from people I don't even know !!
So glad you treated yourself. It sounds like a wonderful trip and I'll bet you were happy to see Heidi again.

 
At 2:54 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Philip. Best wishes. I'll b curious about your opinion of The Shack. Sounds like you celebrated in a lovely fashion! Good on you.

 
At 9:11 p.m., Blogger lorraine said...

Hi Mr. Pebbles in the Stream - I really can't address you as your friends do but I am also glad you had a good time with your space no matter what the occasion. It is always good to have a friend to keep you company on special occasions. Lovely read.

 
At 9:29 a.m., Blogger amelia said...

I'm so happy you got together with Lynne for your birthday, I know you enjoy her company very much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home