DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Waiting for Aqua Pura

For the second day the well drillers are working to install a drilled well for my house. They will have to drill somewhere below 300 feet, I understand. Most of this distance in through Precambrian Shield granite. For 30 years I have pumped water from my beloved river. It's water is lovely, cold, flavourful, crystal clear, sparkling and soft. I love the water from the river. But over they years I have had problems with my pumping arrangement from time to time which has seen me having to haul water until I got inspired to repair the pump or motor. It is amazing how much inconvenience a person can put up with before tackling an annoying task. In recent years, the periods of time without water have become more frequent. I am now at an age when rural plumbing is really annoying. I have taken advantage of a government program to fund a drilled well. This program is designed to help old people to stay in their own home. I had to admit I was old and qualified to finally make an application. This is in the form of a forgivable loan. I will now have water from deep in the terra firma. It will be hard water with minerals in it like iron and hopefully no sulfur smell or taste. I shall miss the river water but I guess from time to time I could go to the river and fetch some just for drinking or washing my hair in it softness. I will now have a more dependable source of water at the house. I guess that is good and makes it worth while.

(click on photo to enlarge)


















Bouffard Well Drilling equipment hard at work beside the house.



















The Temagami River near where I used to pump water the four hundred feet to the house.

In a day or so I will have the luxury of a shower. No more washing my dirty parts in a glass of water. :) If I am lucky my sore left shoulder will heal. (It is painful from lifing pails of water. )

I trust I will continue to be a careful user of water. If not I may have to get a new septic system.

Spare me that other rural plumbing problem.


6 Comments:

At 11:33 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Well. A deep subject.

 
At 1:31 p.m., Blogger Hidden Haven Homestead said...

Am glad you won't have to carry anymore water unless you want to. Take care of that shoulder as its almost garden time and am sure you will be working those shoulders. It has been cold and wet here so far this spring. The last few weeks of winter were actually warmer than our spring. Have a great weekend

 
At 4:18 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Oh, AC!

The drilling apparatus is impressive.

I am glad you are taking care to prepare for contingencies as you get older.

We are having our bathrooms renovated and have included grab bars and higher toilet seats. SIGH. Ah, aging.

 
At 8:05 a.m., Blogger possum said...

Well good for you. We do have to look after ourselves as we grow older, especially if we wish to remain independent. Gone are the days when families lived together and the younger generation took care of things.
My new furnace shoud last 50 years. I had 50 year shingles put on my house. I bought a Toyota...all purchases so I don't have to replace any of them again. Now, about the body parts...

 
At 5:06 p.m., Blogger amelia said...

I don't know how I missed this!!

Oh thank goodness you are getting a well. Having to carry water is really hard on your bones, I know I couldn't do it and neither could Scott although what we actually can do if we really have to is another story altogether!

The water is really hard from our well and we have a charcoal filter plus a UV filter that has to be changed once a year, so it's not as bad as it could be. What worries me even with all the filtering, there is a LOT of iron still and too much is not good in a body.

Maybe if you could take just your drinking water from the river.

 
At 5:09 p.m., Blogger amelia said...

Before we got the filter, the sulphur was horrible but Scott shocks the system from time to time then everything smells of bleach. I don't know which is worse...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home