DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Sunday, October 03, 2010

Autumn Leaves

It is definitely feeling autumnal around here. The leaves are at the peek of their changing colours, it is must cooler (we are having a weekend clear but cold: 1C this morning), I am cutting wood and last week my neighbour brought his cows home from grazing all summer across the river.

This is the time of year I find myself humming the tune "Autumn Leaves". Here you can enjoy Edith Piaf singing it.























Some of my wood cutting gear. I always wear my hard hat with the screen to protect my eyes and the ear muffs to protect my hearing. Having been hit twice in the head with a falling tree, I do not need to be reminded to wear it. I also have safety gloves and safety chain saw boots. These are also essential (take note you weekend wood cutters. The boots did not even protect me fully as I cut through a boot and half way my big toe on one memorable accident. I do admit I do not have my chain saw pants on. I think I threw them out a while back as they were shredded from my resting my idling chainsaw on my thigh. I am using a lighter saw these days and I am very aware of my risk at cutting my thigh in a careless moment. Having worked as a professional wood cutter (un bûcheron, en française) I came to appreciate the safely gear.






















The yellows leaves of the poplar and birch among others are lovely.























Here is a young maple on the way to my wood cutting site.



















Another sign of the season is some of my neighbours cows being herded home after a summer of grazing on our property across the river. They have been nursing their Spring calves. This always reminds me of how much I miss having cows. One cow I had for 18 years and she every year had a lovely calf and raised it well. How hard it was to see her along with others loaded and shipped off to a deadly fate. There is always a big Fall auction of cattle that will not be overwintered.

This year, my thoughts are with my brother and his wife as the are finishing the thru trek of the Appalachian Trail about this day. They should be near the end of the 100 mile wilderness section in Maine which bring them to Mount Katahdin, the terminus of the trail. No doubt they will want to climb this rugged mountain to be photographed with the famous sign.

Here is a video of what the 100 mile wilderness trail is like. I chose this one for it's images and not the German language, although that is interesting and reminds us that the Appalachian Trail is a world class trail to hike.






I am sure that they are enjoying the New England foliage. I suspect they are wet from the weather that has passed through recently. They may be cold. I know my brother is in pain. He has been complaining about his artificial knees hurting him for a long time. Trek on bro! you have almost reached your goal. This is the day you said you would finish.

8 Comments:

At 9:42 a.m., Blogger Caddie said...

The trees are lovely. They haven't turned here except for the Autumn Maple in my yard.

Be careful cutting the wood. Sounds like you may have had a few mishaps in the past.

I too wait anxiously for word from the Canadian Geese.

 
At 10:02 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Although I don't chop firewood, we're of similar minds today.

 
At 11:34 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

Now you knocked me off my chair ! I didn't know that Edith Piaff was singing in English !! I had never heard her. I have seen her here in Brussels and I also have records I have seen her grave in Paris, but I never heard her singing English !!
I don't like this season. I wished I could do like the bears and wake up in spring !

 
At 2:17 p.m., Blogger J C said...

Nice vidio of the App trail. I have been on the trail many years ago, altho only where there is a "touristy" place where one can hike up to a burned out ranger fire lookout. Probably rebuilt by now. Well, that was back in the days when I was young and limber. Loved the cow photo. Love cows! Sad story about yours. I could not have done that after so many years of having her. It would be like putting my macaw Ms. Wee to sleep, and I have had her 17 years.

 
At 2:39 p.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

Wow, that was a long trek for your brother and sister-in-law. They will never forget that experience I'm sure.
Next weekend I head up to NY State to visit my kids and they say that the trees should be at their peak.
I love your picture with the cows.

 
At 3:08 p.m., Blogger amelia said...

I am about to watch the video and I know I'll enjoy it!

You be careful with that woodcutting, we don't want any accidents. You've had some near misses so I know you'll be careful.

I too couldn't have parted with my cow after all those years, especially to that fate. That's why I won't have farm animals. I could never let them go..

 
At 3:10 p.m., Blogger amelia said...

I couldn't see much of the video, the cabin slideshow was in the way. I'm going to get it on the Youtube channel.

 
At 7:41 a.m., Blogger possum said...

Tho we have already lost a lot of leaves due to the drought, we don't get much color until Nov - and even then, it is muted compared to the more northern climes.
I have several friends and neighbors in Maine right now... sure wish I were there, but glad I didn't have to hike to get there! Bravo to your brother and his wife.
I had a cow once, Vicky... I watched her being born, got to name her... but was living far away when she went off to cow heaven...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home