DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Frost: The End of Summer

Well, for me Summer is over. We had our first killing frost last night. Frost sensitive plants in the garden are gone. I picked the green tomatoes, onions and the summer squash. This event every year is the clear mark of summer being over for me. The official last frost free date in our zone is September 15. This year, like other years, we hope for a week or two more without frost but it seldom happens. With our record warm weather this summer I thought we had a good chance to extend the growing season but it seems not. Jack Frost showed up on time.

















My grass this morning looked like this picture with frost on each blade.


There is lots of nice weather before Winter sets in. For many this is the nicest time of the years.
The leaves are changing. The air is crisp and cool. The nights are cool (good for sleeping) and the days are warm. (This afternoon it will be sunny and 17C ) The birds are on the move. The biting insects are disappearing. And for some, the hunting season will begin.


It will be early December before I feel Winter is getting a grip on us.

7 Comments:

At 8:40 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that grass just made me shiver! I've been wondering how your garden turned out. Hope you had a good yield. Time for the annual funace check, too, eh? Gram

 
At 9:11 a.m., Blogger Peggy said...

wish that frost was here. Still hot and humid with no rain at all in weeks. At least I got rain and cold weather in the mountains. Enjoy your fall and send all your snow to me this winter. LOL

 
At 9:33 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I'm very displeased abut the butter being hard this morning.

 
At 12:46 p.m., Blogger Loretta said...

Oh! That does look chilly. It will be awhile before we see that. Yesterday was 93 degrees, but the nights are cooling some. I love fall but don't look forward to winter at all.

 
At 3:36 p.m., Blogger Caddie said...

Your frost date is ahead of mine, of course. By October 15th my heat is needed all the time. In 184 days, I will see the flowers beginning to peek through the last of the snow! Meanwhile

Walking Charly this morning I smelled the blooms of the butterfly bush wafting on the breeze. A delightful experience along with the morning rays. They will withstand frost for some time.

 
At 7:44 p.m., Blogger amelia said...

That's funny, we didn't have frost yet!!

 
At 3:08 p.m., Blogger possum said...

Oh, MY! It has been exciting having a couple mornings in the 50's The fall azaleas are in bloom and the first camellia just opened on Friday. I still have English daisies to open.
Just started picking the late crop of string beans.
Got some time left before I have to bring the house plants in - tho the croton will be in soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home