DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Thursday, September 09, 2010

Blogging Again!

It has been so long since I last blogged anything I feel I should ask someone's permission to resume again, or perhaps, apologize for my absence. I am not sure why I became a lapsed blogger other than it seems like such a chore to organize my thoughts and post something. My postings of late have gotten longer and longer and seem to require more time and effort. I can always blame it on my frequent depressed moods or I have been distracted my a few things.
In truth, I have no excuse.

Since I last blogged I have officiated at a couple of weddings. They are always an enjoyable occasions for me; and, for the couple, I trust. It is my occasion to take center stage and perform. There is a little bit of the actor in every cleric. These occasions do take some time and energy which distracts me., giving me a chance to give in to my more sociable Self.

My friend, Lynne, was here visiting, speaking of distractions. We had a lovely visit in spite of our cooler and wetter weather. It is just a pleasure to spend time with her. We also got to do some dining out while she is here which is a rare treat for me. Then there was the problem with her car, which I will not speak about other than to say she did well to drive to her home with a less than a perfect car. She got home and the car is in the process of being repaired.

While our weather is now cooler and wetter, earlier last week it was very hot for three days, record hot. This kind of weather does not inspire me to do very much.

I have been following my brother and sister-in-law on there ambitious trek of the full length of the Appalachian trail. all 2187 miles. They began last March and now are reaching the end of the trail. It begins at Springer Mountain in Georgia and end at Mount Katahdin, in Maine. They are now in Maine with about 200 miles to go.

The Trail has proved to be a real challenge of them with some very rugged and dangerous sections. They are determined to finish. I think they have enjoyed fellow hikers and the comradeship among them. I think they have been very pleasantly surprised at the help along the way of "trail angels". (People who enjoy helping out hikers along the way out of the goodness o f their hearts.) This may include supplying food and drink in surprising ways, from a case of beer just left of the trail to a picnic spread where the trail crosses a road. They also offer transportation into towns and advice and fellowship as the Trail passes through their little corner of America. A lot of cynical things can be said about Americans these days but along the Trail it seem the spirit of America as a generous, gracious, and hospitable people to strangers in their midst is alive and well. There are lessons to be learned.

A couple of people, who read my blog, have followed closely "The Canadian Geese". (the trail name for Richard and Carol, my kin.) If anyone is interested in reading their trail journal in part or in total it can be found here. You can read it from the beginning or jump to the end and read some the the more recent postings. They have also posted some photos . It is an interesting and read of a personal adventure of two recently retired folk who obviously enjoy each others company.

6 Comments:

At 3:46 p.m., Blogger possum said...

WELCOME BACK!
There are only a few blogs I check frequently - even have a shortcut for on my desktop... this would include yours!
Glad you are OK.
It is cooler here, but very dry. It is great to be able to have the windows open.
Haven't checked your brother's journal in a while. Guess I need to catch up there, also.

 
At 10:05 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I have been realizing that you have been quite silent. It's always good to "hear" from you, however.

 
At 10:17 p.m., Blogger Loretta said...

I all ways check to see if you've posted. I figured you had been extra busy this summer.

We've finely got some rain and cooler weather. Was beginning to think summer was never going to end.

Your brother and sister in law have sure seen some beautiful country. I would love to take a couple of weeks and do that.

 
At 4:22 a.m., Blogger Caddie said...

Never fear, I'm always here...checking for a new post.

Yes, Phillip, you have been neglectful but you have good reason. It's been summer with stuff to do and places to go.
I have faith you will be blogging more often...for your fans out there.

 
At 11:15 a.m., Blogger KGMom said...

No need to request permission--just post away, man, your readers are here.
Seriously, yes I too noticed your silence. I confess I thought one of the distractions might be Lynne. Not that she's a distraction, but that you may choose to spend time with her rather than "us." Fair enough.
Glad you are well, and thinking.
I am interested that your brother and sister-in-law are still plugging away. Many people who have the same aspiration as they break down along the way (rather like the car you mentioned). We have a neighbor who got halfway, then called his wife & daughter to come rescue him. He did go back later, resume and complete the whole trail hike.

 
At 3:28 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

good to see a post but know you have been busy. Been following your brother and SIL on their hiking and am so glad things are going well for them. Tell Heidi she must give you at least one chair for only you. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home