DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Saturday, March 06, 2010

Could It Be Spring?

We have had a relatively mild Winter with way less snow than normal. And now it feels like the beginning of Spring, a couple of weeks early by me estimation. I am not complaining although having a Winter drought is not good ecologically if it becomes the new normal in these parts.

It is a bright sunny day with the temperature rising above freezing, currently 3C on it way to 6C later today and possibly 10C before the weekend is over. These are the best days for ice fishing just before the ice becomes too dangerous to venture on. I believe all ice fishing huts have to be off the ice by March 15. If one reads the weather report, sooner is prudent.

Heidi and I went for a walk down to the bridge on our property. The roads are showing the dirt as they begin to thaw out and hopefully dry begin to dry up.


(click on photo to enlarge)

















My house, looking back on our way to the lane at the edge of our property.


















Heidi at the corner looking over to see if the young puppy next door has noticed us and might join us.


















Before we travel on a good snow massage is in order. The farm in the background is my friend Leo's place.









Just before my battery in the camera died, I took this picture of the river from the corner of the Bailey Bridge. Downstream in the upper center of the photo is the log cabin we built for my son and his kids to enjoy as a summer "camp". (In Southern Ontario it would be called a cottage.)
The ice is off the river and it looks so inviting. Oh to slip a canoe in and go for a paddle. This year, with help from a friend I hope to do some repair work on my beloved canoe. Before Heidi, it was the love of my life.

Of course, in the North the seasons are each equal in length and therefore long to develop so I have no illusions that Spring days will all be lazy and pleasant. We could still get a major snowstorm or worse still freezing rain. But in the long term, the melt has begun ushering in Spring. One learns to enjoy each season, with what it has to offer which is quite varied around here.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

My grandson has managed to post a few more pictures of his adventure in
BC. http://www.dylansolympictrip.blogspot.com/ He has some kind of camera glitch so he has been slow to post some more pictures. I hope he might post even more. He has been home for about a week.
At the end of his adventure he stayed at a ski and snowboarding resort with his aunt and did some snowboarding. In a previous post, I had him at Mount Baldy but I apparently was wrong. I am often not in the loop on such information ,so I guessed wrong. He was at Big White Resort near Kelowna, BC, in the interior. http://www.bigwhite.com/

He is not as verbose as I am so he says little in his blog about his time there but I know he had a wonderful time and was thrilled to be there and spend some time with his aunt. I take it they rented an apartment unit there for he was looking forward to being in a place he could enjoy a hot tube all to himself. At 13, this is a little bit of heaven., at 67 you still hope for a little company!

Now that Dylan has experienced the big hills, I suspect he will want to venture to the more dramatic ski areas near here. There are not many in Ontario but I expect Quebec my beckon, with several great ski areas. Time will tell.

Here is a video of Big White snowboarding. It makes one wish he was young and fearless again, not worrying about breaking anything.











7 Comments:

At 4:35 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Although I don't expect that Old Man Winter has given up completely, spring is definitely in the air. In fact I was just sitting outside, reading.

 
At 10:10 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

I still marvel that you seemed to have gotten far less snow than we did here in central Pennsylvania. We have not had such a snowy winter in almost 15 years. In fact, February was the snowiest MONTH on record! Wow.

I love all the scenes of your place, Heidi and the "cottage." The river does look inviting--hope you succeed in getting the canoe shipworthy.

 
At 9:53 p.m., Blogger John and Carol said...

We have survived winter in Arizona--4 inches of rain, temps in the 60s most days. Yesterday it hit 77--I guess we have Spring too, though it rained today. I guess we'll have to travel to experience all 4 seasons.

 
At 5:04 p.m., Blogger Cathy said...

Hello there
It sounds like your spirits have lifted a little now - I felt so sorry (yet happy for you) after reading your previous post (In recovery)you sounded so down with life and yet so happy both at the same time lol
It also seems as if so many of you 'northeners' ( those for the northern hemisphere) are almost wishing Spring here - theres no wonder as it really was a long hard winter for many of you.
My mother - always full of little sayings - used to say - Everything comes to those who wait, some just have to wait a little longer than others
Nice pictures of your home environs - now we know you are isolated but not too much (at least you have a made road close by)
Take care
Cathy

 
At 2:07 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:13 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:51 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

Now that's funny ! you are the first person who thinks that winter is warmer than usual in all other parts of the world people complain that it is much colder than usual and they even had snow in Spain where it never snows ! We still have - 4 °C in the mornings which is very unusual for Belgium at that time ! Last year I planted my first flowers in the pots !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home