DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mothers' Day

I hope all those who had, or are still enjoying, the adventure of mothering children. . . . all the best today. May you be remembered and appreciated by your children and grand children.

I sent my sister a greeting on this day, as she is the mother of four grown children awaiting her first grandchild. I got an email note back from Spain, where she is treking on the
Camino de Santiago de Compostela, the historic (World Heritage) pilgrimage across Spain. She will certainly remember this Mothers' Day! She is older than I am but obviously in better shape. I am sure she is soaking all the history and scenery up. My sister is a retired history teacher and over the years has traveled a lot. She began her married life with a 15 month travel adventure around the World.

They lived in Switzerland for six months while my brother- in -law took a course. There were the summers her family vacationed in the south of France polishing their French and enjoying that lovely part of France. Then there were the years she was a volunteer for LeLeche League for whom she went to Japan and Botswana to promote breastfeeding. And, there were the vacations in Monserrat, in the Caribbean with "Aunt Margaret", whose property her husband inherited only to have the volcano erupt and destroy a large part of the island and their property.

Now she is retired. It seems she has lots of trips planned. With her daughter working in London, England she travels there as often as possible. Recently she spent time in Ecuador with a Spanish speaking family to learn some basic facility in Spanish. She also took a side trip the the Galapogas Islands. And now, she is trekking in Spain.

Her note said she was presently at the small historic community along the camino called Stella, Spain.

On this day I am thinking of how my mother would have loved to have traveled as Penny has and seen historic and beautiful places. For working class people back then such travel was not commonly done. Besides, she was busy raising three children. She did manage to visit Britain and visit her English relatives and see Stoke- on- Trent where her parents came from. Sadly, she died too young , at 61, and missed out on many retirement years. Not many days slip by that I haven't thought fondly of her since her death in1978. She lives on in so many ways through the lessons and values I learned at her knee.

10 Comments:

At 1:51 p.m., Blogger Caddie said...

I just love your posts, Phillip. This one today is so interesting. Maybe you should meet up with your sister and have you an adventure also. Reading Shirley McLaine's book "El Camino", I had my own adventure along with hers.

 
At 4:29 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Well, Philip--it is interesting that your sister is on a trek.
We passed through some of the cities that were on that pilgrimage route--I would have to look up which ones--cities in Spain with lovely churches and road markers for pilgrims to follow.

 
At 8:19 p.m., Blogger possum said...

I hope everyone who had a good mom is grateful - today and everyday. My gratitude goes to my grandmother who raised me, and my aunt who was always there for me, too. Not everyone gets a good mother - but I was so blessed to have a wonderful grandmother and Aunt.

 
At 9:24 a.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

Thanks for the "Mother's Day" wishes and also thank you for introducing me to Maud Lewis. She is a fascinating lady and I love the fact that she just had to paint no matter what.
I have an idea for another blog entry and I hope it will be OK if I tie her in with it...I will give you credit of course for telling me about her.

 
At 9:24 a.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

Thanks for the "Mother's Day" wishes and also thank you for introducing me to Maud Lewis. She is a fascinating lady and I love the fact that she just had to paint no matter what.
I have an idea for another blog entry and I hope it will be OK if I tie her in with it...I will give you credit of course for telling me about her.

 
At 8:07 a.m., Blogger Barry said...

What an interesting post and what an interesting life your sister is having.

As are you, without really having to go anywhere.

 
At 11:44 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

Dropped in to see how you are doing. You sister will certainly remember this Mother's Day. What a wonderful adventure.

Take care, my friend.
Blessings,
Mary

 
At 8:49 p.m., Blogger @JDHealingTimeOnEarth said...

Ah, Philip, I do envy your sis. I have had walking the 'Camino' on my list for a while now. Maybe someday!

 
At 9:58 a.m., Blogger Tikno said...

Interesting post and well written.

About mother's job:
- It's 24 hours job.
- NO pay.
- NO day off
- SELDOM appreciated.
- IMPOSSIBLE to resign.
But they still proud be a mother.

Greeting from Indonesia
Tikno

 
At 10:50 p.m., Anonymous Sis said...

Hi Phil,

What a nice blog about me! When I sent you the email I didn't tell you that I had a fall on Mother's Day and sprained my left arm quite badly. Yes it was a Mother's Day I'll never forget! The Spanish health system is impressive. I am lucky that nothing was broken. I hope to go back in a couple of years and finish the whole trek. It is an awesome experience to follow where so many others have been traipsing for a 1000 years or more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home