DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Spring Perhaps!

We are enjoying some warmer weather at last. The temperature will be above freezing during the day for the next week or so, maybe longer. It is very clear and bright out.























An icicle formed from the porch roof in front of the front door. Surely, this is a sign of Spring.


















This is Heidi eyeballing a piglet. She is staring it down. His muscles tremble in the tension they are in. The piglet seems to know just how close he can get without having Heidi lung for him.
I keep Heidi on a lease as I don't want anymore piglets being grabbed by an ear and having a great commotion break out. I am great believer in "Peace at all cost." like that other Unitarian Neville Chamberlain. ( a modest Unitarian joke for the historically literate).

















This is a little pig picnic. The snow is hard. Even I can walk on top. A little bare spot with some grass in front of a large boulder was an occasion for a group runt and feed. I salted the spot with a little cracked corn.




This is what some of the pigs have learned to do. They come up the ramp onto the front porch and lie right in front of the door sunning themselves. As you can see from the shadows my house faces south. There have been as many as seven doing this at one time. This picture I took through the window in the front door, not the best view.

The temperature right now is 0C on it way up to about 5C and tomorrow it may reach 8C. Off with the winter coat! Off with the tuque! Off with the gloves! On with the rubber boots. There will be puddles.

I hope others are in a Springtime mood.

Posted by Picasa



9 Comments:

At 3:47 p.m., Blogger possum said...

Neville Chamberlain???? WWII?
Cute, those little dudes on the porch sunning themselves! Nobody ever said pigs were dumb. I am sure I saw Heidi's muscles quivering in the photo! Maybe if she'd been raised as a pup around pigs...... ?
Looks like the snow is disappearing!

 
At 9:35 p.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

Great shots! Peace at all cost is a good one. :) I hope spring is here, too. It's been a very long winter.

 
At 10:45 p.m., Blogger John and Carol said...

Really glad to see Spring is coming to the north country. Enjoy!

 
At 6:03 a.m., Blogger Tom said...

I'm glad you got your peace... the 'pigs on porch' would make a great book title.. :O)

 
At 8:32 a.m., Blogger amelia said...

The piglets are really enjoying the warmth, good for them!!

I can't even walk outside right now because of the melt. The ice is so sheer and so dangerous, I'm scared of breaking bones!!

One of our dogs just walks over our fence because the snow is so hard and I'm constantly having to call him back! Once it melts a bit more he won't be able to do that but the snow is almost as high as the fence!!

 
At 9:00 a.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

Ah, sweet spring and it's about time too. We've had enough winter weather to last us a lifetime. I hate to think that there will be other chilly days, but as you know it's true.

It's been lovely here over the weekend and is supposed to stay nice all week. Rain for Wednesday but that is better than snow.

Enjoyed your photos. The pigs on the porch seem to be enjoying the sun and that icicle is huge.

Blessings for a great week.
Mary

 
At 3:47 p.m., Blogger Janet said...

I love the fact that you worked Neville Chamberlain into a post about piglets.

Those are some smart piggies, finding the melted spot and the sunny spot.

 
At 8:18 p.m., Blogger Loretta said...

I'm glad to know you're seeing spring. We had a cloudy morning but then the sun came out and it got to 63 today!! This has been the longest winter ever, so glad it's all most over!

 
At 10:44 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

The weather has been great, and I have recently walked on top of the snow too. If I were a little piglet I would tempt not the Heidi. This pic makes me realize just how huge she is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home