DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Monday, February 23, 2009

A Break in the Weather

After a couple of days of snow and high winds, we got a break in the weather with bright blue skies. Unfortunately, the arctic high also brings colder temperatures. While the weather has cleared, I needed to make another trip to the feed mill in Verner.

But first, I the task to dig out the car. I just did it yesterday but with the wind and drifting snow it needs to be done again.

(click on photo to enlarge)

















The drift on the right side of the car is about 3 feet deep. On the left side the snow plow has thrown some snow against the car as it passed. What is not shown is the snow packed under the car by the wind. I guess I could use the hour of exercise in the fresh air. -17C.


















For readers who live where they are snow deprived. Here is what a snow covered plowed road looks like. This is the road I travel to get to Verner. These roads are nice to travel on, although a sign of Spring coming, frost heaves in the road can surprise you if you do not slow down for them. One of the good things about the road is that if you lose control and go into a skid the snow banks keep you out of the ditch. With careful speed this should not happen. If it does, there is seldom anyone else using the road. Just back out and carry on. (a little digging may be necessary.) When the road begins to get a little icy they come and sprinkle a little sand on the road, to help the traction.


















This is a stretch of the road parallel to the Sturgeon River on the approach to the bridge. The snowbank seemed the highest here. It is as high or higher than the roof of the car.





At the mill Heidi enjoyed running up the snowbank at the edge of the parking lot. It is about 12 feet high. She ran about half way up and then turned to check out the view.

Days like today are very nice with the snow white and the sky blue. Everything sparkles and the cool temperatures are bracing. A good day for my birthday.


8 Comments:

At 2:58 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You're certainly getting winter up there. It looks nice actually. In a way, I want it to end, but I'd also like to experience some at the cottage first -- but can't get there for a few more weeks it seems.

 
At 3:47 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! You should have told me sooner I would have baked a cake! (You may not have wanted to eat it but should the brakes fail on your car it could have had other uses!)
Those roads look pretty well thick of snow and ice! I would start using a sledge which may make the world a safer place. (or a plastic sack! We used to use those when we were little as we couldn't afford a sledge! My dad once made us one but the boards fell off mid-slide and seeing my bum grinding along the snowy hill may have been funny for others but I have my pride!)
Heidi looks appreciative of her surroundings there!
It does look very lovely, picture potcard!
Have a great day there! Many Happy Returns and a bithday hug! *hug* Get Heidi to give you a good lick from me! (Not that I would lick you but it's the doggey equivilant isn't it??) hehe

 
At 3:57 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Yes, I have been snow deprived, but I am not sure I need as much snow as you have had.

I am also a bit slow on the uptake--I see you posted that Feb. 23 was your birthday--10 days behind mine.
Sorry for not sending good wishes sooner. I think I have been a bit preoccupied, and I haven't gotten around to reading blogs as faithfully as I should like.

So happy belated--and many more good years to you.

 
At 1:47 p.m., Blogger Janet said...

I'm so sorry I missed your birthday! These are glorious pictures. We did the garbage bag for sleds thing, too.

 
At 7:52 p.m., Blogger amelia said...

I'm not looking forward to the weather tonight!!!

 
At 11:14 p.m., Blogger @JDHealingTimeOnEarth said...

Sorry I missed your birthday, Philip! Hope it was a great day. Sun on fresh snow is always beautiful.

 
At 8:19 a.m., Blogger J C said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Philip. I am happy to be snow-deprived! xoxoxo

 
At 12:12 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...


Hello,everyone my name is mlmvc from USA i never ever believed in spell until i meet a man called Dr upesa, who help me cast a spell that bring back my ex-lover who left me for one years before our marriage,His spells works beyond my imaginations and today i am happily married two kids and me and my [ex-lover] now husband are very happy more than ever before,what more can i say rather than to say thank you Dr upesa for been there for me,contact him today and your life will never ever remain the same his email is upesalovetemple@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home