DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Well Done Walk


MY brother and his wife Carole just completed hiking the Chesapeake and Ohio trail along the old C and O barge canal, all 184.5 miles of it. Well done guys.



Richard and Carole are in their '60's and were marathon runners in their earlier days. Carole has always been fit. Richard in the last year lost 50 pounds and had knee replacements. I admire their effort as hiking has never been a big interest of mine, (I prefer canoeing). These days my arthritic knees would make such hiking painful. I certainly don't envy them their blistered and bruised feet.



They traversed this historic and scenic trail in ten days camping some nights and staying in B and B's when the weather was rainy, and there was some rain. I enjoyed their daily brief descriptions of their trek which began in Georgetown by Washington and ended in Cumberland Maryland. I wish they had written more about the historical points they passed. They went by Harper's Ferry without a mention. Perhaps, once home, in Charlotte, NC., they will write a more extensive account.



For a map of the trail visit http://www.bikewashington.org/canal/ To read more information http://www.nps.gov/choh/



Below is a brief video I located to give you a sense of this trail's natural setting. They did not make this video.




6 Comments:

At 10:37 a.m., Blogger Janet said...

That's impressive. I have several friends who have hiked the Appalachian Trail, some of them twice. I'll have to tell them about this one. I've hiked about a mile of the Appalachian Trail. It was mostly an accident since it combines with another trail where we were backpacking. 3 days is my limit.

 
At 12:04 p.m., Blogger Gattina said...

Hi, I write you from Greece the keyboard is awful, for the first time in my life I can t even read the street names it's all in greek letters ! I'll answer when I am back even Google is in greek letters and I can only guess were I have to click !
I have met a lot of Canadians ! I will return on Friday

 
At 12:38 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That is impressive!

I was fortunate enough to go on a canal ride when they were still functioning (before floods damaged them.)

 
At 5:14 p.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

It's a dream of mine to hike the AT some day. Of course, it seems that some day never comes. When I had the strength and energy to do a trek like that, we couldn't afford the time to do it. Now that we can afford it, my health goes. :( Just can't win.

 
At 9:22 p.m., Blogger Rachel said...

Wow, what a lovely place to hike! I had not heard of this one. I think it's wonderful that they made this hike together!

 
At 10:48 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

I really enjoyed your video. I wish I was in shape to take this hike. Like you, my knees would not allow me to do it.

Thanks for sharing this beautiful naturescape.

Blessings,
Mary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home