DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

RABBITS MOVED



















When the weather turned so cold I moved my three remaining does indoors. The will be the basis of me rebuilding my rabbitry. I lost my buck and a doe, a few weeks ago, to some kind of predator who managed to open their cage in the shed. I suspect a coyote. I sold one, one died mysteriously and another succumbed to the cold. The three remaining does, a mother and her two offspring are what are left. They seem really happy and content to be inside, even if it is in the cold room. They are more vigorous and friendly and I don't have to contend with frozen water all the time.

I am looking for another buck, a Flemish or New Zealand Giant to cross breed with the does.
When I get one I can move the mating cage indoors (Peggy no doubt would call it the "honeymoon suite". I don't like to anthropromorphize animals, particularly if I might be considering eating them.)



















These are the two young does. The tawny one is my favourite and somewhat friendlier. Rabbits do bite and it hurts. I try to give them each a pat when I feed them so they are comfortable with me.




















This is the mother rabbit, Veronica and I purchased at the auction in New Liskherd. She is a littel shy and for two days sat very still in the back of the cage such that I thought she was ill. Finally, she warmed (maybe literally) and became as vigorous and the other two.

Bringing animals in the house is not new to me, particularly if it is cold and they are ill. I have had a mother goat and her two kids, in the basement, numerous sick piglets and calves in my kitchen, not to mention starting young chickens; starting with the 100 I had take over an upstairs bedroom. (It is vewry pleasant to wake up to the chirping of your chicks, in the next room. But the dust. . . . .) There have also been numerous dogs and cats and my pot bellied pig for a while.

There are some advantages to living alone. One is you can have your animal friends in without worrying about complains for the "lady of the house". I must say Veronica, for the short time she was here was a gamer and seemed to not mind. We had a couple of occasions while she was here to turn my house into a "barnhof" of sorts.

1 Comments:

At 10:20 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

Hey now I have no problem eating a animal I have named and raised. :) Afterall we did have a dairy farm where I raised our milk cows from calves and then when their milking days were over enjoyed the meat they put on my table! LOL I just love letting my animals have a storybook life while they can so find your darlings a fella and let them enjoy the honeymoon suite. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home