DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

JackFrost dropped by






















Belatedly I took a picture of the frost on my kitchen window above the sink. It was starting to melt as I had just done some dishes.


This is the window I gaze out of when I do dishes and meditate. (The zen of dishwashing). The coldest part of Winter is finally here and my old ill- fitting windows can get frosted. The nights these days sees the temperature drop to -34 C to -38C. With it rising to around 18C (0F). Not far south of here it dropped to -40C. Tomorrow they promise a warmer day at -7C. With a little wind it can feel much colder. These days the packed snow squeaks and my beard frosts up. . . . Nature's way of telling me how cold it is.


This kind of weather is a struggle which keeps one busy with keeping the wood stoves going and hauling water to the shed for the animals as my water line froze underground. Those of us who suffer from "cabin fever" or depression due to the low light will experience it in the coming month.

Some communities have Winter Carnivals these days which get people out enjoying activities and each other. These can be a nice break in the struggle of Winter.


I figure four more weeks of Winter, My mother always said, when she went into the hospital to give birth to me it was Winter but two weeks later when she came home with me, at the beginning of March, it was Spring. This rule of thumb has always been a guide for me.

There is not very much snow so far. Not enough for snowshowing. The snowmobile trails are only partially open. The toughest among us can go icefishing but the weather is more hospitable in March for my taste.

1 Comments:

At 5:47 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

We are having windchill of 9 but nowhere near the cold you are having. Spring will be here before we know it and with it all the work would can possibly handle. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home