DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

BOO



It is this time of year again. When you reach my age it is largely memories. I no longer have children around my house. My son is grown with children of his own. I no longer have foster children. Worse still there are no children in my neighbour hood.  I live up a country logging road outside of a small town. Too far for children to walk for any treats.

When we first moved here. Parker was still young enough for Halloween. I would drive him into town where he did the round with the town kids.  I always had treats on hand just in case someone came by. In over 30 years there have only been an handful of kids reach our house.  No fear, Parker and I made short work of the treats when we were sure on one was coming once again.

I always carved a pumpkin.  Not well mind you but being an electrician I always had it well lighted with a bulb inside.  The best treat on Halloween was being able to dry and salt the pumpkin seeds.



My son, Parker, many years ago. What a scary devil!   This costume my mother made it included not only horns but a long devil's tail.  My mother always made us costumes. I don't ever remember buying a costume. This particular costume was well used. My sister's kids used it and I think one of my son's kids wore it one year.



A couple of pumpkins carved long ago. The devil made me do it.



For several years after Parker had outgrown Halloween I made candy apples.  I had a young friend, Tina, who spent a lot of time at my house in those years. I let her take the candy apples to school for the children there. I made enough for the whole school.  Not as big a chore as you might think for in those days there were about 50 children in the school spread over 8 grades.  We had a good school build for 120 children. There may have been that many before we showed up. Perhaps, some day there may be that many again. Currently, I understand there are only 30 children in the school. Not enough young adults doing their homework and producing children.

Just the other day I found my candy thermometer broken so I guess my candy apple days are over.

I can't say I appreciate the ghoulish costume theme I see advertised. It seems years ago, it was a more innocent time.

7 Comments:

At 10:02 p.m., Blogger John and Carol said...

I liked Halloween as a child. But I have never liked having to wear a costume as an adult and I didn't like having to come up with costumes for our sons. I am happy to live where there are no children coming for treats--if I bought them I would eat the whole bag.

 
At 10:46 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I am impressed that you made candy apples. It's been a long time since I had one.

 
At 10:34 a.m., Blogger Owen Gray said...

Our kids are all grown and -- like you, Philip -- we live in the country. We used to take them into town for Halloween.

We had a lot o fun. Now the children of my former students will be the kids on the streets tonight.

 
At 7:34 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Philip--I am glad you recalled a time when Hallowe'en was simpler, and more enjoyable.
I am so with you on not liking the more ghoulish aspects popular today.

 
At 9:16 p.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

Hi Phillip...I no longer do the Halloween thing either but I like seeing the old pictures...your son was devilishly adorable.

 
At 7:58 a.m., Blogger possum said...

What an adorable devil!
I am grateful I live on the edge of town with a narrow road, so no kids come to bang on the door, therefore no bad bags of poison tempting me! (Lead us not into temptation - or the candy aisle!)

When we were kids we had to sing or recite a poem to get treats. Much more entertaining for everyone, and you NEVER went to a stranger's house.

 
At 10:15 a.m., Blogger J C said...

Boo Philip!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home