DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Monday, September 30, 2013

Busy, Busy, Busy

It seems I have been too busy to keep up with my blog writing.  I feel badly for this and I expect to get back to it more regularly in the near future.

I have been following regularly the Toronto Blue Jays and their farm team the Buffalo Bisons. It has not been a good year of the mother club. Toronto had great expectations but as things worked out they missed out on the playoffs.  There have been lots of problems that resulted in this disappointing result but just the same there has been some exciting baseball and individual players have show some exciting moments in all the games. They ended the season with many Triple A players from Buffalo playing to replace injured and ill regular players. They have done well and have been exciting, hopefully boding well for the future of the home team.
I am not sure if I will watch the playoff as closely as have the Blue Jays teams. Perhaps, just the World Series round.

I have been suffering for some time now with chronic pain in my legs and hip, probably arthritis. particularly my left one and of course I have the chronic pain in my right shoulder as a result of dropping a tree on it  when I was logging.
In spite of this I am able to cut and split firewood. I like to say I am old from the waist down by young in my upper body., for a while longer at least.

I am currently having my front porch roof rebuilt after having the snow load tear it off this past Winter. It will  be done in a week of so. My neighour is doing the work, He is the husband of my blogging friend  and dog sitter Jenny.



There has been more progress since this picture was taken



My son , Parker, managed to harvest some potatoes from my neighbours patch on my land. With permission, of course.  They are large  Yukon Gold variety.  This potato is quite popular. I would have preferred a red variety, I always used to grow some red and some white potatoes.  The Yukon Gold was developed by a professor at the agricultural college at Guelph University.



Here is my current fire wood project. The logs have all been cut into blocks now I am slitting and piling the firewood so It will further dry.  At the rate I go I think it will be all done this week. There will be six rows the length of the one in the picture.We  have been having some nice drying weather. Come November I will move as much as I can into the basement of the house.  I am curious to find out how well the ash burns and give off heat.  There is also birch and poplar mixed in. This I am familiar with.  I am in good shape for wood this year. Last year, I had to buy some in the Spring for the first time. Shame on me.



I am busy trying to find homes for my kittens. Here is one of the four orange ones in the litter of  five, alone with the mother.  In the background outside the window is a field of feed corn that has yet to be harvested.

Now I need to get caught up on reading other people's blogs. I have allowed myself to get distracted by Facebook, postings of family and friends which I find limited and light weight  chatter.  A blog is better for writing and sharing more substantial reflections.

7 Comments:

At 4:47 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

Hello Philip my far away friend... how nice to see your comment today... gosh it seems such a times since we shared words. Your's was one of the first blogs that drew my interest way back when I started blogging. One of the first post I think I saw then was of your wood pile and the work and planning it took... I also recall your woods... and the river... then the pictures when the snow fell... boy I'd not seen snow like that. Here I am squashed in my little brick house, that is itself squashed between other houses exactly the same in this old cotton mill town, Hyde, Cheshire, 8 miles outside of Manchester England. I saw your house your land and your way of life and fell right in love with the place.... but quickly realise that us soft and pampered town folk would find it such a shock to chop wood to cook and survive a winter... Maybe when I was younger.. I'd have been over there like a shot...
I remember you getting your dog... and another blogger knitting it a winter coat... I also remember your words of wisdom and how your writing would get me thinking and even questioning myself and my life.
Has you saw today the blog I do is not about the town I live in... the town I and both my parents were born in... No longer a small town producing cotton cloth spinning and weaving... but a town like most of the others in England with high unemployment and no prospects for the young. Problems with drugs, and drink... noisy neighbours and social unrest. Boy what I'd give to live in the middle of a forest now ha!
I am so glad to see you are still blogging and I wish you well my friend... I've taken to much of your wood chopping time now... so until next time I say good-by.

 
At 10:00 a.m., Blogger troutbirder said...

I can empathize with your Blue Jays comments as my beloved Twins have had three disastrous years in a row. Also I really enjoyed your post and comments about puzzles on Ginnies blog...:)

 
At 3:19 p.m., Blogger Owen Gray said...

Your arthritis may be bothering you, Philip, but it doesn't seem to be slowing you down.

As for the Jays, it's been a tough year. They still haven't jelled.

 
At 7:10 a.m., Blogger J C said...

Gosh Phillip, is that big two-story house yours? I always thought you lived in that log cabin building in the flash show on your sidebar. Now I am confused. Is that also your field of corn feed? Anyway, I always love coming here and finding out new things. On tv, do you get that History channel program about the mountain men? You should be featured on that, because of your lifestyle. Doesn't have to be in the mountains. Hope your day is wonderful.

 
At 7:31 p.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

I agree with Owen Gray...you may have painful arthritis but it hasn't slowed you down. Every year at this time I am amazed at all the wood that you chop and assemble into huge piles. You must come from hardy stock !

 
At 11:30 a.m., Blogger possum said...

Hey Philip, I made a mistake of sharing your wood chopping stories and pictures with my uncle (age 83) who still enjoys chopping his wood and keeping a little fire in his house in Ohio. I think he thought I was chiding him for not doing as much as you do! Bless him. He likes sticking small squares of beef on a skewer and roasting them in his fire then eating them - much like toasting marshmallows for kids.
I miss my fireplace, but the gas logs are easier and it keeps bugs out of the house.
I am so glad you are able to chop your wood and do the things you do. I know the satisfaction that comes with doing things like that.
Good for you!
BTW, most of your kitties are boys, aren't they? The little orange ones? If you love on them and make them love bugs, they are much easier to give away. Plus, they get along with Heidi, so that is a plus. Good luck!

 
At 3:45 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I sure do understand about bodily pains, but as usual I am so impressed with how you manage to do the wood for winter. It boggles my mind, but good on ya, guy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home