DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I Smell the Lilacs

My lilacs are in bloom. I love them. They make a great display and smell so nice.

(click on photo to enlarge)

















A bouquet I brought indoors to make the room smell so fresh and pleasant.


















I have two mature bushes, on either end of my verandah. The one above gets morning sun and is on the east side of the verandah. It has smaller blooms which are slower to fully develop.



















This is the more fully emerged bush on the west side of the verandah, which I must pass to enter the house. There are many more blooms than last year.


To sit on the porch on the swing with Heidi is always pleasant but now we can also smell the lilac sand watch the pair of hummingbirds darting around to feed at the feeder.


I have two smaller bushes which be a couple of more years before they put on much of a show.

One is white and the other is another blue one.


It is a lovely day today. The warmest so far. It may reach 30 C. Might I be tempted to go for a swim. Humm! the water will still be quite cold. It will be painfully refreshing. I may wait a couple of weeks. :)

9 Comments:

At 12:04 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I would like to opine that it must be pleasant on your porch, but with blackfies and mosquitoes out that's probably not really the case. :(

 
At 2:34 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

YIKES! Wait a couple of weeks for the swim. Brrrrrr! But the lilacs are beautiful. I have some white ones, but the bush was tucked betweek two others before Officer Friendly and I bought the place, and they take longer to bloom because they get a little less sun. Can't wait to smell them!
goodnightgram

 
At 6:41 p.m., Blogger amelia said...

Oh the mosquitoes are just awful!! How can you sit outside? My head is covered in black fly bites and the rest of me in mosquitoes! This is why I do not like the summer. I am a hermit at this time of year.

 
At 7:02 p.m., Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I must protest. AC and Amelia are projecting their struggles with the biting insects found in the North, on my porch.

With the heat and a slight wind there are not pesky biting insects to bother me. I do not live in the woods like Amelia or the nasty suburbs like AC.

If I was at our cabin by the river, I might want to wear a head net but not here on my verandah.

 
At 7:02 p.m., Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:37 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Philip--the lilacs are positively stunning. I do enjoy their fragrance.
And I won't project any problems on your wonderful setting.
Enjoy the heat--as for me, I do not relish it.

 
At 8:16 p.m., Blogger Caddie said...

The lilacs are so nice. They are actually my favorite. Never can get enough of their beautiful odor. We had many when I was a child. I still miss them. Some day I will have my own lilac; a promise to myself. I'm having NO insect problem here yet. Maybe I won't have it at all. Even the flies are few this year. No screen on the backdoor is aggravating at times. I solved the problem of flies coming inside by hanging a small plastic bag of water in the doorway. Flies take it for a bee hive and won't get near it. A restaurant in Johnson City hang water bags along the ceiling of the outside eating porch to deter flies. It works very well. A good idea to use around horse barns too.

 
At 3:33 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there, just poking my head in and I can almost smell the lilac!
Swimming in the lake?? Lordy, you will need a wooly swim suit! xx

 
At 11:32 p.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

I only wish to have something so beautiful growing by my home. I have low-life neighbors who feel perfectly entitled to STEAL the roses I planted in memory of my beloved Adonis. I cry every time I walk in the backyard and see the vermin have cut off another flower.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home