DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Thursday, June 03, 2010

A Few Photos from Vimy Ridge


(click on photos to enlarge)

















For the Canadian soldiers courage, creativity, sacrifice and success at Vimy Ridge, when other had failed, a unifying proud historical event for Canada in WWI. France so appreciated Canada's contribution to the liberation of northern France the battlefield was made Canadian Territory as a gift from France.

















It is a moment of pride to see the Canadian flag flying along side the French drapeau.


















The memorial is truly monumental, standing tall and alone upon the ridge, visible for miles around.






This is the statue representing Mother Canada grieving the death of her young. It is one a several symbolic statues on the monument. It pleases me that is it a female form with no militaristic adornments.


Posted by Picasa

9 Comments:

At 6:48 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

I am sure it means a lot to you to have seen some of the places of which you have previously written.
I recall the blog you wrote about your grandson Dylan writing his own poem about a World War I battle--I think also in Belgium.

Looking forward to more pics. And stories.

 
At 10:37 p.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

Always enjoy visiting your site. Beautiful photos.

 
At 11:09 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Thanks for the pics of a place that I will never get to. Cuppa's grandfather fought here and visited for some occasion when we was more than a 100 years old. He died at the age of 105, less than ten years ago.

 
At 11:42 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

If I understand well, you visited all these war things and not even the Waterloo Lion ? that's also a battle field, lol !

 
At 2:17 p.m., Blogger amelia said...

This is my first time for seeing this!! I didn't even know it existed till now..

 
At 7:34 a.m., Blogger Cathy said...

Hello Philip
Finally have time to drop in and say 'How good it is to have you home' From the sound of it you must have had a fabulous time, your recollections of trying to take in all that history make great reading and I will come back and reread another day. The sight and sound of it all would have been very overpowering and as you mentioned a couple of times very emotional for you.
BTW I've moved Cathys Capers to a new address and also changed the name. My blog is now called Still Waters and can be found at http://stillwaters-cathy.blogspot.com. Do drop in some time - I'd love to see you
Take care
Cathy

 
At 5:00 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

I've really enjoyed catching up with your post Philip and learning much asso often I do from bloging. I thought of you a week or two back... and it ties in now with these last posting to some degree... I was in my local church yard... St. Marys Talbot Road Newton.. I noticed a Soldiers grave... the crest on the grave was the Maple leaf..... I had to investigate this.... why was a Canadian buried in Newton.. I have earlier today got all the facts about the soldier and why he is there... I won't tell you just now but promise that when I post about it I will send you the link...
I hope all is well my friend
Tom

 
At 5:45 p.m., Blogger J C said...

Philip, I'm glad you are home safe and sound. I know Heidi was glad to see you, even tho she may have been a bit standoffish for a little while. Ms. Wee does that to me too when I leave home for awhile. I really like the statue of Mother Canada. It's beautiful. And I like the colors in the Talbot house. What an adventure you had. Thanks for sharing. And thanks for your concerned email. That spill is inching it's way closer to my beach every day. I hate it! It's what happens when big business lets greed take over instead of putting maintenance first. And when governments dont think first about safety before they hand out permits. Sigh..... I've finally started a new blog, after two years. Hope you'll visit occasionally. Bring Heidi. Doggies are welcome, especially spoiled ones! xoxoxo

 
At 7:44 p.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

Your blog posts always show me something I've never seen before. Really interesting, Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home