DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Thursday, November 05, 2009

40 SIGNS THAT YOU MAY BE CANADIAN:



I am posting this just for the fun of it. For my American friends it is sharing some of Canadians quirkness: fo Canadian family and friends who have been in the U.S. too long it is a refresher course; for Americans who are considering moving to Canada, study there will be a test at the border; and, for the rest of us. . . .Well, you must recognize yourself by this list.



1. You stand in "line-ups" at the movie, not lines.


2. You're not offended by the term, "Homo Milk"


3. You understand the phrase, "Could you please pass me a serviette,I just spilled my poutine"


4. You eat chocolate bars instead of candy bars.


5. You drink pop, not soda.


6. You know what it means to be on pogey.


7. You know that a mickey and 2-4's mean "Party at the camp, eh!!"


8. You can drink legally while still a 'teen.


9. You talk about the weather with strangers and friends alike.


10. You don't know or care about the fuss with Cuba, it's just a cheap place to travel with good cigars and no Americans.


11. When there is a social problem, you turn to your government to fix it instead of telling them to stay out of it.


12. You're not sure if the leader of your nation has EVER had sex and don't want to know if he has!


13. You get milk in bags as well as cartons and plastic jugs.


14. Pike is a type of fish, not some part of a highway.


15. You drive on a highway, not a freeway.


16. You sit on a couch not a chesterfield - that is some small town in Quebec!


17. You know what a Robertson screwdriver is.


18. You have Canadian Tire money in your kitchen drawers.


19. You know that Thrills are something to chew and "taste like soap".


20. You know that Mounties "don't always look like that"


21. You dismiss all beers under 6% as "for children and the elderly".


22. You know that the Friendly Giant isn't a vegetable product line.


23. You know that Casey and Finnegan are not a Celtic musical group.


24. You participated in "Participaction".


25. You have an Inuit carving by your bedside with the rationale, "What's good enough protection for the Prime Minister is good enough for me".


26. You wonder why there isn't a 5 dollar coin yet.


27. Unlike any international assassin/terrorist/spy in the world, you don't possess a Canadian passport.


28. You use a red pen on your non-Canadian textbooks and fill in the missing 'u's from labor, honor, and color.


29. You know the French equivalents of "free", "prize"and "no sugar added", thanks to your extensive education in bilingual cereal packaging.


30. You are excited whenever an American television show mentions Canada.


31. You make a mental note to talk about it at work the next day.


32. You can do all the hand actions to Sharon, Lois and Bram's "Skin-a-ma-rinky-dinky-doo" opus.


33. You can eat more than one maple sugar candy without feeling nauseous.


34. You were mad when "The Beachcombers" were taken off the air.


35. You know what a toque is.


36. You have some memento of Doug and Bob.


37. You admit Rich Little is Canadian and you're glad Jerry Lewis is not.


38. You know Toronto is not a province.


39. You never miss "Coaches Corner".


40. Back bacon and Kraft Dinner are two of your favourite food groups.


Note: Re: #16 In our house we sat on a chesterfield. We are of British stock.


Funny list, eh!


Sorry! I forgot from where I lifted this list or I would give credit. Forgetfulness seem to be an affliction of people my age. Yes, I did remember to google the title and I still could no locate the source.

8 Comments:

At 11:19 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Fun list, Philip--even though I confess some leave me scratching my head and saying--Eh?

 
At 7:19 a.m., Anonymous daffy said...

Had me giggling and I definitely don't understand them all! Wonder if I would still laugh if I did!
:o)

 
At 7:58 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

When I was young, we sat on a chesterfield; now we sit on a couch. Eh?

 
At 8:12 a.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

A fun list, Phillip, but I guess I'm not a Canadian because I can't even see maple sugar candy without feeling nauseated, much less eat even one piece !

 
At 9:33 p.m., Blogger John and Carol said...

I've been in Canada enough to understand a few of these, not many. Do you see enough US TV that a similar American list would make sense to you?

 
At 10:44 a.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

I enjoyed reading these and I am truly Canadian. Like Anvilcloud, I sat on a chesterfield when I was growing up, but now sit on the couch.

Canadians also love peal meal bacon and I'm not sure those in other countries know what it is.

Have a wonderful day and thanks for the laugh.

Blessings,
Mary

 
At 12:46 p.m., Blogger amelia said...

It's true, all of it!!

 
At 12:49 p.m., Anonymous Veronica said...

During one of my visits to see you we went out for a meal. Come to find out cold drinks are served without ice. I thought it was cold enough to freeze ice Canada.LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home