DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Monday, February 09, 2009

Some Thoughts on the Day


I just got in from outside. Heidi needed her nightly trip outside before going to bed. It has warmed up to -4C and there is a " Winter Storm Watch" on. It seems there is some nasty weather coming; beginning with an ice storm, then some rain as the temperature rises to 8C. There is a full moon tonight and the snow glows white still. This may be the beginning of the end of the worst of Winter.

I can hear our local pack of wolves howling. I have not heard them since early Winter. With the crust on the snow from the light rain then cold temperatures of the other day, they may be more easily traveling around. I enjoyed listening to them in the stillness of the night. I resisted calling to them to see if they might answer. I just listened and took in the moment.

I wasn't the only one. Heidi my dog was on alert standing attentively listening to the call from her primordial genetic past. She too remained silent.

With a tug on her leash, I encouraged her to reluctantly return to the warmth of the house.

By morning, the weather may make everything seem less attractive outside.

(click on photo to enlarge)



















Earlier today, some of the piglets reminded me I needed to go to the feed mill in Verner.



















It was a lovely clear day: blue sky and white snow. This is the Sturgeon River at the point south of town where we cross the bridge on the shortcut toward the farming community of Verner.


















Heidi anxiously watch me as I took some pictures. She seems like she was in a hurry to get going.



Posted by Picasa


This is our destination, the Coop Feed mill and grain storage facility. The snow is still very white and clean. That will end as the meltdown begins. This could be the beginning of the end of Winter although we could still have some very cold weather yet. It will be a month before we will know l we are into the Spring thaw.

8 Comments:

At 9:44 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You know you're in the hinterland when you can talk about your local wolf pack. :)

 
At 10:09 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

I love the countryside and am happy that I live outside the city and it's all green around. I can hear cows, but now wolves, that in any case exists only in the zoo here. But it must be very romantic to listen to them in the night !
Today we have +6°C, it rains cats and dogs and there is a storm announced with 150 km/h ! it starts already ! I am soooo fat up of winter !

 
At 12:45 p.m., Blogger John and Carol said...

You paint such wonderful word pictues of the Canadian winter, it almost makes me want to be there. But I think I'll stay here in southern Arizona, instead.

 
At 7:43 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

I think Heidi is actually saying--would you get back in the car; you know I am not licensed to drive.
Actually--to me the scenes all look lovely. Call me crazy.

 
At 9:13 p.m., Blogger @JDHealingTimeOnEarth said...

very pretty, Philip, but I know how you feel about winter lingering. I was all primed for Spring, and tonight we are getting more snow. (sigh).

 
At 12:41 p.m., Blogger possum said...

Gosh... it is in the 60s here - T-shirt weather after unbelievable cold weather for us. The camellias are trying to open again, and the first crocus opened yesterday. There are buds on a few daffodils - I hope they open for your birthday!!!! BUT, they are talking about snow and temps in the 20s by week-end.

Did you explain to Heidi her license is a dog license, not a driver's license?????

 
At 4:18 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was Heidi driving! She is such a clever dog! I imagine it's an eery sound listening to a pack of wolves..
The snow looks lovely, I don't know how you cope with the weather there! We've had a few days of snow and the entire country almost came to a grinding halt!
Hope you are well.

 
At 11:51 a.m., Blogger Janet said...

The snow on the river would be deceptive if you didn't know there was a river there!
Those are lovely scenes, but I know what you mean. I've had my snow and I'm ready for spring now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home