DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Friday, February 13, 2009

Mattawa and Black History

It being Black History Month, I am still reading a little in this area, particularly Canadian Black history. I just stumbled on this story of Canada's first Black mayor, Dr Firmin Monestime, who became the mayor of Mattawa, Ontario, a couple of hour drive from here on the Ottawa River.

Even today, one would be startled to see a black person on the street in Mattawa which is largely a French Canadian town with a history in logging (It is 125 years old this year) and even a more ancient history as the confluence of the Mattawa River and the Ottawa River. This was the place where the early explorers and fur traders travelling west from Montreal would turn west onto the "little river", the Mattawa, to canoe deep into the nation's wilderness.




















The Monestime Family

Dr. Monestime came to live in Mattawa out of a series of lucky events for him and the town. He was from Haiti, where he had been a prominent doctor. Under the Duvalier regime in Haiti he decided to leave his homeland and chose to come to Quebec City, as he only spoke French. He requalified as a Canadian doctor there.

He was on his way to Timmins, north of here, with another doctor with the idea of opening a practice in this gold mining region. They stopped off at Mattawa for lunch and a resident recognized him. He had been his doctor in Quebec city. The town had just lost it's doctor and this fellow convinced Dr Monestime to stay and open a practice in Mattawa.

To make a longer story short he married an interesting woman who was a Russian refugee from Nazi Europe . They had four children. Dr. Monestime had a successful practice caring for the medical needs of this small town. He also founded a Nursing Home in the town, which he wife ran and his daughter administers today.

Dr. Monestime was elected and served several terms as mayor of Mattawa.

You can read a longer version of this story in this article from the North Bay Nugget newspaper,
here.


















The Main Street of Mattawa

I have been to Mattawa a few times. It is a small community in a very picturesque setting. If, years ago, I had come here I might have settled in the Mattawa area. While the town is only 125 years old Europeans have passed through here on the historic fur trade route for nearly 400 years. From the Ottawa River paddlers on this ancient "trans Canada highway" turned left into the Mattawa River to travel to Lake Nipissing, at the site of North Bay and then down the French River to the upper Great Lakes on the way west and north. Nearly every year some paddling groups retraces this ancient route, some going as far as the Rockie Mountains or even north to the Arctic Ocean.

One of the things to see in Mattawa is the studeo of the artist Clermont Duval. I am very found of his paintings of the north land.

















Canoe on the Mattawa

This painting of a red canoe I love. I really should go and purchase a print of it. This is the same type and colour of canoe I own. It used to be in as good a shape as this one. I bought it brand new when I was 17 for $150. They now cost you at least that amount per linear foot. This is the prospector model, 16 feet, cedar strip canvas covered. It is a classic.












The Black Three Legged Wolf "The Admirable Violent"

I love Duval's painting based on a tale. Quite often they are mystical in nature involving animals, quite often the noble wolf.

Here is the written explanation of the painting:


" A boy, lost in dense bush during sub-zero temperatures, is found the next day, to everyone's astonishment, alive and well. All he can get across is “A black dog...missing a leg.
Months later, while poaching, the boy's father shoots a black wolf at the stroke of midnight. Upon closer inspection, he noticed the wolf had only three legs, in addition to a gold chain with the medallion bearing the initials 'R.B.' and an inscription: Nature Holds Man's Life.
Could this animal be his child's saviour? Who is R.B.?
The truth shall remain a mystery, but tonight an ex-hunter gently rocks his child to sleep, fingering the gold medallion around the child's neck, and with both sorrow and respect, remembers this “Admirable Violent”
"

8 Comments:

At 1:03 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

Now that was really interesting !!

 
At 9:25 a.m., Blogger possum said...

Very interesting! I love Duval's work, too. Have seen that ptg of the red canoe somewhere - I remembered it! Cool!
Mattawa looks like my kind of town!

 
At 5:20 p.m., Blogger Janet said...

Fascinating story of the doctor, and the 3-legged wolf story was very touching.
Beautiful work, I'll have to look him up.

 
At 10:38 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...

I m TASHA from U.S.A,My faince now [husband] is back and we are happily married with kids and i m here to gave thanks and appreciation to Dr IRABOR the spell caster of iraborspelltemple@gmail.com for all the time He stood by me,for all the truth He make me see,for all the happiness He brought into my life,for all the wrongs He make right,for every of my dreams He make come through and for the help i found in Him,i am grateful and thankful unto Him,He was the one that helped me all,He never let me fall,He was the one that saw me through it all,He was my source of strength when i was weak,He was my voice when i couldn`t speak,He was my eyes when i couldn`t see,{spiritualy}He saw the pain wasn`t good for me,He lifted me were i couldn`t reach,i m everything i m today because He helped me,i m so happy my husband is back in my life at last,His email is iraborspelltemple@gmail.com,A temple were sorrows are dropped and happiness is gain in return.

 
At 10:38 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...

I m TASHA from U.S.A,My faince now [husband] is back and we are happily married with kids and i m here to gave thanks and appreciation to Dr IRABOR the spell caster of iraborspelltemple@gmail.com for all the time He stood by me,for all the truth He make me see,for all the happiness He brought into my life,for all the wrongs He make right,for every of my dreams He make come through and for the help i found in Him,i am grateful and thankful unto Him,He was the one that helped me all,He never let me fall,He was the one that saw me through it all,He was my source of strength when i was weak,He was my voice when i couldn`t speak,He was my eyes when i couldn`t see,{spiritualy}He saw the pain wasn`t good for me,He lifted me were i couldn`t reach,i m everything i m today because He helped me,i m so happy my husband is back in my life at last,His email is iraborspelltemple@gmail.com,A temple were sorrows are dropped and happiness is gain in return.

 
At 8:58 p.m., Blogger Dr Ogudugu Solution Temple said...

My name is Gary. I do not know how to thank GREAT OGUDUGU for bringing happiness back to my family. I do really wanna tell the whole world that there is a spell caster called Dr. OGUDUGU that is so real and genuine. I never believed in any of these things but when i lose my wife for 4 years, i required help until i found a great spell caster,and he assured me that i will get my wife back in just 48hours but i was in doubt, and after the spell has been cast, 48hours later, just as the spell caster said, my phone rang, and surprisingly it was my wife who has not called me for the past 4 years, and she made an apology for the pain she has caused me and she told me that she is ready to come back home for me. Dr. OGUDUGU really made her know how much i loved and needed her. And he also opened her eyes to picture how much love we have to share together. I will keep sharing this testimony all over the world. All thanks goes to Dr. OGUDUGU for the good work that he has done for me. Contact him now because he is very powerful and he will always help you. Believe him and do all he ask you to do and never doubt him in any way. GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM

 
At 9:58 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...

Hello friends my name is Tonya Smith i live in USA,Am over whelmed of what DR. OCUSODO. did for me he brought back my love who left for 1 year ago without notice, i have been looking for how to get this boy back to my life because i love this boy with the whole of my heart, i could not replace him with any body,one day i was watching my television when i saw a lady giving thanks to him and telling the world how he helped her i was so shocked i could not believe it because i never taught that there are powers that can bring back lost love, then that was how i decided to contact him too because i do really need my love back,when i contacted him i told him everything and he told me not to worry that my love will surely be back to my arms within 24hours at first i could not believe because i was thinking how could somebody that has gone for 1 year ago come back within 24 hours,so then i decided to watch and see,unbelievable within the next 24hours i heard a call from unknown number so i decided to pick the call the next thing i could hear was my loves voice he was pleading and begging me on the phone that i should forgive him that i should forget all that have happened that he did not know what came over him,he promised not to leave for any reason, that he was really sorry for what he did,i was so surprised because i never believed that this could happen,so that was how i accepted his apology and the next morning he came to my house and still pleading for me to forgive him i told him that everything is okay that i have forgiven him, that was how we started again and now we are married, i promised to say this testimony in radio station, commenting this testimony is still okay but before this week runs out i promise to say this in radio station and i will,sir thank you very much.World please am begging you people to try and thank this man for me,or if you need his help here is his email address: drocusodospellcaster@gmail.com or drocusodospellcaster@yahoo.com his contact number +2349047457724.

 
At 2:50 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...

Hello my name is Collins Guzman from London i know a renowned spell caster who helped me when i had problems in my marriage with my Wife. If you need a right place to solve your relationship problems contact DR.OGUDUGU TEMPLE on: ( GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM ) OR WHATSAPP +2348139793075 he is the right choice, he is a great man that has ever been.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home