DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Miscellaneous Notes

BRRRRRR!

There was frost on the cars windshield this morning! Wonder what survived in the garden.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


So Missed


Half a dozen people whose blogs I read regularly have taken a rest from blogging. You are missed. Perhaps, the Fall season will see you return to blogging.



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Dog Reflections









"Have I got a bone to pick with you!"


Do you think Heidi is thinking what she might do to one of those pigs if she get a hold of it again



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Remembering 9/11


There was a CBC Documentary worth watching last Sunday on the CBC. "The Secret History of 9/11 . While it is too late to watch it you can visit it's website and read the transcript http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/secrethistory/ It was created by the award winning Canadaina film maker Terrence McKenna. This documentary reveals how much was know about the threat to the US and how badly the Bush Administration failed to take it serious.



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


US HEALTH INSURANCE


With interest I have been following the political issue of health insurance in the US. There seems to be a widespread opinion that the US needs health insurance that will cover almost all Americans but it falls short of a Candian style universal single payer (through taxes) health care program. It turns out that the majority of Americans (55%) would like such a system. Also, large groups of doctors and other health professionals support an Canadian style system. In spite of this the Democrats proposal for a universal health care system falls short.


In short, the politician in the US are proposing a health care insurance system which is funded through private insurers. The role of government would be to subsidize those familes and individuals who otherwise would not be able to afford it. Could it be the politicians listen more to the Insurance industry than the public? No doubt! The above article is a good read.


I hope the new administration will find the courage to take on big insurance. otherwise the benefits to universal insurance coverage will be lost.


1, The recognition that health care is a right and not a privilege. To subsidize private insurance

makes some people recipients or charity rather that a right.


2. To lower the high cost of health insurance the profit motive must be removed.


3. A government tax paid system would bring benefits to business by making lower health care costs available to employees. Business would become more competative. For example, Canadian auto workers are covered by the National Health Insurance while their fellow workers in the US find their employers struggling with the cost of insurance for their workers and retirees.


I hope in the new year, the new administration will find the courage to listen to public opinion and lead it rather than listen to the Insurance Industry and sell the public short.



Governor Palin


For you Governor Palin watchers (critics) here are a couple of interesting articles.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2008/09/10-1
http://www.commondreams.org/view/2008/09/07-0


Posted by Picasa




10 Comments:

At 4:28 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It seems uncommonly cold for early September, especially since there was a bit of heat wave last week.

 
At 7:36 a.m., Blogger amelia said...

We went to the Ex over the Labour day weekend (as you know) and just got burnt! It's hard to believe things are this cold this quickly!!

 
At 1:05 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:06 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

An interesting post to be sure. I am also watching the US health care system to see what they are going to do. All people are entitled to health care with feeling like they are accepting charity. A Canadian system would work, but I know that our health care system is changing. I hope it doesn't become a two-tiered system.

Sorry it's been so long since I've visited. Time seems to get away from me and the renovations are driving me crazy. It seems we continue to run into more things that need to be done. Isn't that the way when you renovate old houses? This house was built in 1856.

Now I'm off to catch up on all that I've missed. Hearing that you had frost just confirms that we are in for an early autumn. It has come close to frosting here.

Take care, my friend.
Blessings,
Mary

 
At 2:12 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

Sorry to here about the frost.. hope the gardens well... Heidi looks great and is that all that's left of the postman... one picked over leg bone.. :O)

I still post from my other blog.

Tom

 
At 5:29 p.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

It's been a lot cooler for Sept. than usual here, too.

My thoughts on Sept 11 are on my blog, if you have a minute to stop by.

 
At 12:46 p.m., Blogger Sam said...

Hi,

I'm here from Renie's blog. Looks like you have an interesting blog over here. I'm looking forward to reading more, especially about your politics. I'm finding I can only stomach like-minded views right now. Great Palin links.

 
At 3:19 p.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

Your Heidi looks like she's really acclimated. I can imagine how nice it must be for you to have her.

 
At 8:36 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dog reflections! I love her to bits Philip!
We had a dog visitor yesterday, my aunts pooch, Scruffy. She is beautiful and lots of fun but Heid could carry her on her back!
That bone is huuuuuge!

ps I'm not sure if I'm included in the bloggers having a break... if I am thanks. I've just ran out time, with my dad, my kids and work suddenly going really busy! I hope to get back to some good blogging soon.

 
At 12:30 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

send some of that cold weather this way. Its hot and humid here with the high suppose to be 96F

 

Post a Comment

<< Home