DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Saturday, April 05, 2008

The Runt Saga Continues

The weather is really Spring-like now. It has been perfect maple sugaring type weather, warm (above freezing) in the day and cool (below freezing) at night. This weather pattern also keeps the snow melting slow and flooding hazhards low.


We are at the northern limit of commercial sugar bushes. There is a small one in the next town of Field but I have never visited it.

Today it may go up to 9C will lots of sun. This will make short work of the remaining snow. With a little rain by next weekend it will mostly be gone. Ironically, then we can worry about flooding for it is not snow here that causes floods but the snow in the highland bush of Temagami forest melting and holding back in the wet snow and in beaver ponds before it is released in a rush.



The animals are enjoying the warmer weather. The pigs are beginning to root around in the softening ground, which includes my lawn. I really must get the electric fencing going.

They also get the itch to roam. A few days ago, one cow was almost in town a mile away before I realized she was missing. The pigs will travel the road if I do not watch them and Gage is not there to encourage (threaten) them to stay in the yard.


















Enlarge this picture and you will see the sows and some of the piglets coming down the road. They were heading for my neighbour's place when I spotted them.

Luckily, they come when called when I give my best Arkansas Razorback call. Feeding time!


















I have been trying to keep the Runt outside now. He goes down and roots around and spends some time with the other piglets. Dave reports he even got a free suck on one of the sows. ( Think Dave is having a great time playing pir herder. He certainly has spent a lot of time outside watching them and directing traffic when necssary. Sure beats the long Winter hours he has spent in his room.)

The runt follows me like a dog and comes when I call with my rapid fire piglet call, "piggy, piggy, piggy"! He knows he is the house piggy and not just another barnyard hog.

I only feed him outside usually on the porch. Not really far enough away from the house. Soon off the porch with him.



















He does come in at night . He likes to sleep behind the wood stove although he has discovered the front hall closet and Denis's old chainsaw pants lying on the floor. He likes to bury himself in these grubby old pants. Could he be missing Denis?

In the above picture you see his latest trick. He has learned to climb up on the chesterfield and now likes to sleep there at night. Hmmm!. . . . . Now squint at the picture and imagine Runt weighing 800 pounds!!! I don't think the furniture will survive.






"He thinks he is going to leave me behind with those dirty baryard pigs.! In a pig's eyeI I am going for a nap in the house."Posted by Picasa

12 Comments:

At 9:03 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I love your critter reports. Best of luck in getting the runt off your couch.

 
At 11:49 p.m., Blogger Janet said...

And I thought getting the 140-pound Rottweiler off the couch was difficult. Baby gates, my friend, baby gates.

 
At 12:52 a.m., Blogger Alyssa said...

Runt is the sweetest looking little piglet! Pigs are very smart and you can certainly see that in him. I hope he stays a pet - I'd hate to hear of a bad end for him. He seems so very trusting of you...

 
At 1:51 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

It's so refreshing to read your animal reports, lol ! and the picture of the pigs coming down the street is absolutely priceless ! it looks as if they returned from shopping !
Little runt is sooooo sweet ! and pigs are very intelligent animals.

 
At 11:31 a.m., Blogger amelia said...

Please keep him and love him as a pet...

 
At 7:17 a.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

What a cutie! I would have to keep him as a pet. :)

 
At 8:47 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to keep him in the style he has now become accustomed to you know. ;o)
I love that picture of the pigs heading out for a walk! It could be any family out in the sun...
:o)

 
At 10:29 a.m., Blogger Peggy said...

I love it! Runt has become a house pig. Diva will still come inside if she catches the door open. Right now BossyToes is giving me a fit. She was raised inside and was even house trained. She thinks its a insult to be outside with other goats. I just can't have a grown goat inside trying to turn around or climb on something. I bet Runt will sneak inside each change it gets when its moved outdoors... goode luck! :)

 
At 2:22 p.m., Blogger Sparkling Red said...

I would LOVE to have a pet pig! Although it would have to be a miniature pig, because we don't have room for 800 lbs of anything in our wee home.

 
At 7:01 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

What a great read this as been... I was showing your blog to a friend of ours the other day.. He could not get his head around why you farm... he was so wrapped up in the comforts of a centraly heated house and hot and cold water, electric at the flick of a switch... he was flabbergasted by it all. How different some folks are.. years ago I'd have jumped at your life style.. Peter still would. I really enjoy my visits here reding about your life and your animals.

 
At 8:48 a.m., Blogger J C said...

I love your little piggie pictures!

 
At 7:39 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

Runt is adorable. I always enjoy visiting and seeing your animals. It seems Gage has turned into a good companion for you.

Blessings,
Mary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home