DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Friday, April 11, 2008

Play to Aid


I am not a fan of playing games on computers. I did find this one interesting: educational and useful. http://freerice.com/index.php It was recently mentioned on the CBC.

This is a language game for those who like to expand their vocabulary. It is also a way to contribute to funding an agency which supplies the rice to poor people, for whom rice is a staple.

There is an impending food crisis in many parts of the world. Are you aware that the price of rice has gone away up in the last year causing more people to find they can no longer afford to feed themselves or their family. Several countries, like Viet Nam which historically have exported rice have decided not to do so for their own food security.

Have you read there have been food riots in Haiti recently. The problem with the cost of rice is just the tip of the iceberg as we see most grains, worldwide getting very expensive: corn, wheat, oats, soya are all getting very expensive. (I know I have to buy livestock feed.) According to the BBC in the last year world-wide rice is up 75%, corn is up 31% and wheat is up 130%. it seems the days of cheap food are over.

You may also have read that the United Nations feed programs need more money because they cannot feed as many people this year as last on the funds they are now getting.

This game is a small way to contribute to the aid effort, have some fun expanding you vocabulary. With children this could be a competative gave. "Who can get the most word matches right in 2 minutes.".

I also invite you to visit the sister web side to this game http://poverty.com/

View the chart on International Aid. http://poverty.com/internationalaid.html In Canada and in the United States we like to think we are generous donors to International Aid. Canada contributes only 30 cents out of every $100 earned in the country. The US is even worse at only 17 cents. We are well below the 70 cents the countries have set as a target goal. Compare this with Sweden that gives $1.03. Only five countries have reached the target goal.

I hope you enjoy the game and contribute rice to feeding those in need of this staple.

7 Comments:

At 8:30 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That was a worthwhile few moments. I got all five, but it hiccuped on the last and only awarded me 4.

 
At 5:08 a.m., Blogger Tom said...

Hi Philip
Both me and Jane like word game so I'm sure we will try this out.
I watch a report yesterday on our local news... folk were worried about their weekend curries going up in price because of this shortage. I had to laugh at them worried about a few pence rise when the main BBC news were on about total stavation.. Jane and I do our bit.. and alas it is a bit, but its what we can afford. I also support a local charity collecting goods for their shop. We did have an oxfam shop in Hyde but that closed down and is now a Tak Away food shop.. which says about all I think.

 
At 10:31 a.m., Blogger J C said...

Well, I'm not a gamer so I won't even try, but loving your pic of Gage and the runt below.

 
At 4:22 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Philip--my daughter, knowing I love words, had sent me the rice link some time ago. I found myself getting so competitive (I am) that I finally had to purposefully miss one just so I would stop. Pathetic--isn't that?
As for rising grain prices--certainly brings to mind spectres of scary times with the haves and have nots in full battle over food.
Sad to say, US policies contribute to this--what with developing ethanol from corn, too many farmers have switched to growing corn and thus all grains become more costly.

 
At 1:42 a.m., Blogger Deal and Delas said...

The housing society is set to become a marvel of twin cities by integrating all civic amenities of international standards complete with life-size replicas of global icons such as Burj Al Arab etc.
Blue world city Islamabad installment plan
park view lahore payment plan
Rudn Enclave payment plan

 
At 7:14 a.m., Blogger Deal and Delas said...

Lahore Park View City Booking Process
Deal & Deals is a full-scale real estate agency and sales partner of Lahore PVC. When a booking is made through Deal & Deals, it is easy, and you will get exclusive discounts on booking. To book your plot in Lahore Park View City, the following is the process of doing it through Deal & Deals:
park view lahore installment plan
Blue world city Islamabad installment plan

Rudn Enclave payment plan

 
At 4:39 a.m., Blogger Helping Hand said...

Faisal Town Phase 2 is the Society which is going to be developed soon, and their developers are Zedem Developers CEO is Chaudhary Abdul Majeed. You Should invest in this project it's going to be beneficial for those who already have invested in it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home