DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Smell the Lilacs

One of the delights of this time of year is the coming into bloom of the lilacs.  What a lovely display. Better still, what a lovely smell.

Several years ago, I dug up some lilac runners from a friend's lilac bush and planted them on either side of the front of my house. I wanted to anchor my house better to the ground, as it stands up stark in an open space.
They took hold and every years from the beginning they never failed to give me a display.  The bushes have gotten quite large.  I have two smaller ones which are coming along slower than I would like. One is a transplanted runner from this bush and the other is a white one I purchased.   Someday, they too may become such a dramatic display.

When looking for an old homestead site, of which there are many in the North, one needs to be looking for a lilac bush and a rhubarb patch. Look a little closer and you might find hollyhocks and horseradish.  I love these popular farmstead plants that remind us that people once lived very close by.  In the midst of taming the land, they managed to plant a little beauty as well as essential well used ground crops.






The lilacs are even more lovely close up with their multiple florets in every head of a flower.  For a couple of weeks I can sit by the open window, reading or listen to the baseball game on the radio and smell the lovely lilacs.  Along with the company of my devoted dog, Heidi, and my three delightful cats, who could ask for more.  Life is good.


Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

At 6:55 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Lilacs are beautiful. We have one the the backyard.

 
At 9:01 p.m., Blogger John and Carol said...

I love lilacs and rhubarb. I miss them since we went on the road. We never seem to be somewhere in the spring to see/eat them.

 
At 11:13 a.m., Blogger Owen Gray said...

We have several bushes, Philip. This year they are particularly full and beautiful.

 
At 9:03 a.m., Blogger possum said...

The ones we have at the house in the Poconos are huge and ancient, planted by my grandfather. How I love them!
I planted one outside my bedroom window here, it struggles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home