DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Indian Summer


We have just had a wonderful week of warm weather. It has been more summer like than lots of days during summer. It is a little early for Indian Summer so maybe we will have the real thing some time in October.


















It seems the trees just burst into colour. . . . or wasn't I paying attention.? I took my camera today to take a picture of a spectacular tree with scarlet leaves. I saw it a few days ago. Today, it was almost without any leaves. I missed it! Sometimes beauty is fleeting.


With the weather so nice I took the opportunity to re -shingle my porch roof. It is about time. I have had the shingles for a year. With my aches and pains It was difficult.


It is hard to believe I re-shingled the roof of my two story house with its cottage roof, alone a few years ago. I like to tell people I did that in three weeks and only fell off the roof once. Luckily I fell off the front side and landed on the porch roof, while my ladder ended up in the middle of the road. I think God wanted me to rest so I quit for the day.


To finish the porch off I finally gave in and asked my son to come and help me. He and #1 grandson, Dylan, came and we managed to finish the roof before the weather changed. Blessings on them both. I am finding it hard to accept I am getting older and cannot do all I used to do.


















Heidi in one of her more elegant poses. I love the way she crosses her legs.






















Cats have moved in.

With Denis gone the cats have moved into the spare room and are enjoying the bunk beds.

These are the beds my brother and I had as children. I guess they are about 60 year old. I am not one to spend a lot of money on furniture.






Time to fire up the woodstove.


This week the weather will be turning cooler. I probably will have to set a fire in the cook stove to take the chill off the house. I love having a fire and the smell of wood in the house. . . .at least at the beginning of the season. Come Spring, I will be glad to do without the fire.


Wouldn't you know it. The weather is cooling down and Ruby is about to have a litter of piglets.

I thought it might have been last night or today. She is very large and just lays about in her pen.

I am checking on her every couple of hours. Babe will be another three weeks or so before she drops a litter. Here we go again, lots of porcine fun.

Pictures to follow when available!Posted by Picasa

9 Comments:

At 8:47 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It seems that the trees suddenly flipped their switches here last week too.

 
At 9:51 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

Heidi looks like a princess ! Very ladylike, lol ! I love your woodstove, it is beautiful ! My grandma had one like this. It must be very old.
I don't like automn and winter. If I could I would do like a bear, sleep until spring !

 
At 10:49 a.m., Blogger amelia said...

I love your stove!! Do you cook on it all winter? What do you cook on in the summer?

 
At 11:40 a.m., Blogger Peggy said...

Heidi looks so happy and at home. Your trees are beautiful. No color here yet. Way too early for what little color we do get. I drool over your stove everytime I see photos of it. I love it!

 
At 4:52 a.m., Blogger Tom said...

Hi there stranger :O)
I have been catching up on all your news... Heidi dose look nice sat there... I wonder if she will take to the runt' like Gage did... I hope so... I know these dogs huunted hogs in there past.. but 'runts' bring out the best in folks and animal at times.

Nice to see the stove again...it sure is a beauty, and those bed look similar to some we had when I was a child.

All the best and keep well my friend
Tom

 
At 7:49 a.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

Beautiful photos! So Heidi is a real lady. :)

 
At 3:01 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can hardly wait to see the piglets!
Look at Heidi! She does look super elegant. I can't get over cats, it seems they have their sleeping arrangements all sorted out.
The colours you have captured on your photograph of the trees is lovely. I love the colours associated with autumn, warm colours for a cooling period. Unless of course we have an Indian summer. I don't hold out much hope for England! It's wet, windy and cold at the moment. Matches the economic climate huh?
Hope you are well Philip, stay warm if the nippy air sets in and it's only natural that our bodies restrict us from doing what we could once before. Take the help whenever you can.

 
At 6:42 p.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

I, too, love the stove. I can just imagine the heat that it will give off all winter.
Also, your photo of the changing trees makes me homesick for the North.

 
At 8:35 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Philip--how funny that the cats have taken over the bunk bed--both levels.
Pigs ready to drop--what will Heidi do?
Love the fall colors, even if you missed it by a bit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home